Orioles looking at SS options

Sports Guy

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Then the Brewers were never serious about trading Hardy. No team is going to offer them their two top pitching prospects for Hardy. He's good but he's not THAT good.

I agree, it's too much. But I do think a lot of people on these boards make some pretty weak trade offers for key positon players like Hardy, who is on a path to become the next Tejada. We're not going to get him for nothing.

not being an ass here but was wondering if you could tell me how it works when signing a free agent?i have heard of it a few times but how does it work?

you are right about markakis.there is no denying his talent.but thank AM for wieters if it wasnt for him peter the ass would have never made it happen to get him.

Isn't that backwards? I thought AM was the one that was willing to let Wieters go? Maybe I've got it backwards.

Not sure what you are asking about how it works when signing a free agent...could you be more specific?

Isn't that backwards? I thought AM was the one that was willing to let Wieters go? Maybe I've got it backwards.

Not sure what you are asking about how it works when signing a free agent...could you be more specific?

im sure i read that AM was the one who made things happen for weiters...but i could be wrong.who cares he is an Oriole now.

sorry bout not being specific i was in a rush earlier.

how does it work with losing a draft pick when you sign a free agent?

im sure i read that AM was the one who made things happen for weiters...but i could be wrong.who cares he is an Oriole now.

sorry bout not being specific i was in a rush earlier.

how does it work with losing a draft pick when you sign a free agent?

Free Agents are broken down into Type A, Type B, or no type Free Agents, depending on how well you played the past two seasons.

If you sign a Type A Player, you lose your first round draft pick, unless you pick in the first 15. If you pick in the first 15, you lose your second round pick. If you sign two type A's, you'd lose the next pick that you have (second or third round) and so on.

Signing Type A's are the only way you lose picks, but not all Type A's are created equal. For instance, we lost a pick two years ago for signing Danys Baez, which was incredibly dumb.

I hope that at least clears up a little bit of that.

From today's MLB Trade Rumors chat:

2:10 [Comment From Rob]

Aubrey Huff for Brandon Wood(if Tex doesn't sign with Angels)

2:11 Tim Dierkes: The Angels could've claimed Huff and possibly gotten him for nothing, and chose not to. So I cant see them giving up a good young player.

http://www.coveritlive.com/index2.php?option=com_altcaster&task=viewaltcast&altcast_code=4ea932434c&width=470&height=550&replay=y

That was from me.

His answer makes sense except now Huff is owed less money, got through a whole season playing at a high level, we know Scoiscia isn't a big fan of Wood's and if they lose Tex, they need a power bat for first.

That seems to make more sense than Figgins for Konerko, as has been thrown around(unless the Angels love Wood, which doesn't seem to be the case).

One thing I would say is that maybe they would try to move Wood for something better and more long term, like Peavy.

Free Agents are broken down into Type A, Type B, or no type Free Agents, depending on how well you played the past two seasons.

If you sign a Type A Player, you lose your first round draft pick, unless you pick in the first 15. If you pick in the first 15, you lose your second round pick. If you sign two type A's, you'd lose the next pick that you have (second or third round) and so on.

Signing Type A's are the only way you lose picks, but not all Type A's are created equal. For instance, we lost a pick two years ago for signing Danys Baez, which was incredibly dumb.

I hope that at least clears up a little bit of that.

ok i gotcha.thanks again!!!

That's kind of like saying that Kevin Millar must be a good hitter because he had about the same number of singles as Ryan Howard.

It's somewhere between misleading and irrelevant.

Well here's Baseball Prospectus' take on him, far from disheartening.

"Khalil Greene is an intriguing player. The Padres shortstop is capable of hitting for some power at a difficult defensive position, but he lacks discipline at the plate, cannot seem to hit in his home park, and developed something of an injury bug during his time in the majors. Entering his age-27 season this year, PECOTA expects him to be solidly above average for his position the next five years, and it seems as if the scouting reports and advanced fielding metrics finally agree on Greene's place in the defensive shortstop hierarchy (hint: it's lofty)."

Got a couple of quickies for the SS pile from one of the Rangers blogs...

3. Rangers farm director Scott Servais will go see Joaquin Arias at the club’s academy in the Dominican Republic next week. Indications right now are that Arias is ready to start making throws from shortstop in games and could begin playing in the Dominican Winter League as soon as Servais watches his workout.

4. Lot of shortstop news bubbling out of the Dominican: The Rangers are planning on having INF Jose Vallejo, previously juist a second baseman, work at shortstop. Right now, it doesn’t sound as if it will be a full-time move, but could eventually become one.

Needless to say, if Arias is healthy he is a great defensive SS and decent offensively.

SEASON G AB AVG OBP SLG OPS

2008 Tex 32 110 .291 .345 .409 .754

The other question to ask is "If Arias and now Vallejo are viable SS options, does that mean Andrus could be in play?"

Got a couple of quickies for the SS pile from one of the Rangers blogs...

Needless to say, if Arias is healthy he is a great defensive SS and decent offensively.

SEASON G AB AVG OBP SLG OPS

2008 Tex 32 110 .291 .345 .409 .754

The other question to ask is "If Arias and now Vallejo are viable SS options, does that mean Andrus could be in play?"

I see them trading Arias before Andrus. Arias is a utility player right now and probably could be had for very little. He's one of my top SS targets...

Well here's Baseball Prospectus' take on him, far from disheartening.

"Khalil Greene is an intriguing player. The Padres shortstop is capable of hitting for some power at a difficult defensive position, but he lacks discipline at the plate, cannot seem to hit in his home park, and developed something of an injury bug during his time in the majors. Entering his age-27 season this year, PECOTA expects him to be solidly above average for his position the next five years, and it seems as if the scouting reports and advanced fielding metrics finally agree on Greene's place in the defensive shortstop hierarchy (hint: it's lofty)."

The point was more that fielding percentage is quite unhelpful (and not an advanced fielding metric) and Jeter is a really bad SS.

Archived