Bring up the kids?

Bahama O's Fan

I know this is not Elias' approach but I think it's time to bring up the kids. Let Lopez go. Have a rotation of Means, Zimmerman, Akin, Kramer, Harvey and maybe Lowther, go six man. Bring Banlon up to play 3rd. When Jones is healthy, give him 2B. Bring up AR. Even if he never gets a hit, at least he can play good defensively and start learning MLB hitters. At least give fans a reason to watch the games. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

As far as the SP goes we pretty much have want you want now. Lopez is just buying time until they commit to another young arm. Look at what they are doing with Means, they are playing the long game here. Lopez will be in the pen at some point. 

Ruiz is on a short leash. Jones and Bannon should get a look at some point. Still have 75% of season left. 

AR isn’t going to be brought up just to make the team more watchable. 

They've had Bannon playing 2B as well as 3B. He's 25 and couldn't possibly be worse than what they've been trotting out to play 2B each day. Agree when Jones is healthy he should be here as well. I also think they need to play Sisco more. Instead of 6/1 maybe 5/2 or even 4/3 with Severino who is also clearly not the answer. I think we all agree we're talking about a backup catcher here since the job will be Rutschman's soon.

6 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

If we are going to give young pitchers some innings it would be good to have some good defense behind the plate.

Agree, but unless/until Rutschman starts lighting it up at Bowie, we're stuck w/Sisco and Severino. And from what I've seen, the infield defense is just as bad as the catching.

Edited by Gentile4

1 hour ago, Gentile4 said:

They've had Bannon playing 2B as well as 3B. He's 25 and couldn't possibly be worse than what they've been trotting out to play 2B each day. Agree when Jones is healthy he should be here as well. I also think they need to play Sisco more. Instead of 6/1 maybe 5/2 or even 4/3 with Severino who is also clearly not the answer. I think we all agree we're talking about a backup catcher here since the job will be Rutschman's soon.

Sisco is incompetent. He’s not even a backup.

Too soon to bring up Rustchman.  He has only about a dozen games' experience above low-A ball.  If he plays well at Bowie, you can promote him to Norfolk in July and give him a cup of coffee in September.   

Jones and Bannon can be promoted sooner--I'd like to see them play better (and in Jones' case, get healthy) in Norfolk first, but there's nothing at the major league level holding them back.   Promoting Jones and Bannon would have the beneficial side effect of making room at Norfolk for Terrin Vavra and Patrick Dorrian, who look like better prospects than Jones and Bannon.  

1 minute ago, Philip said:

Four out of five.

Would you like to look at all the things in which he trails all of baseball?

Well it isn't pitch framing because that's Severino.

It isn't pass balls because Severino has more of those.

Pretty sure Severino has allowed more wild pitches.

He isn't last in the league in batting average, or slugging, or on base average, nor OPS.

He is tied for last in Triples.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Gentile4 said:

Yet he leads all of baseball in throwing out base stealers.

A glance at baseball savant was surprisingly sparse, but did offer a few things:

21 percentile in exit velocity

16 percentile in sprint speed

1 percentile in framing

32.2% K rate

3.9 % BB rate

Five season average of .202.

He can’t hit. He has had 576 plate appearances, or approximately one full season, so one can say it’s not too late for him to turn things around. But slow is slow. Bad framing is bad framing. 30+ % K rate is still 30% plus. His OBP is helped by a world class ability to get hit by pitches.

so yeah.

The “kids” are up and getting chances to produce. For the most part, they haven’t. But... this is what we expected. A season where everyone takes time to play at the MLB level. Especially the starting pitchers. 

We have some good players with potential. We can “compete” most nights. We just have a lot of players that were expected to be either back end rotation guys or platoon bats at best. That’s pretty much what we’re getting. 

This team will look a lot better if Santander, Diaz, and Hunter Harvey, can produce and STAY healthy. Add in Hall, AR, and GrayRod, and we’re a fun team next year.