Norfolk catchers find something they like in the water

wildcard

1 minute ago, bpilktree said:

Severino seems to me to be a guy that could be a great leader to a team that was good.  He shows fire at times but gets very lackluster when things are not going the team or his way.  Machado did same type thing were he didn’t give full effort on the bad teams.  

Yeah, I can understand why he he was lackluster when Means was throwing a perfect game and didn’t bother trying to get that ball in the dirt. Things were going really awful...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Yeah, I can understand why he he was lackluster when Means was throwing a perfect game and didn’t bother trying to get that ball in the dirt. Things were going really awful...

It was the third inning and he just went to catch it instead of blocking it.  It was not an effort play just a technique that happens sometimes at catcher.  A ball breaks or moves more then you suspect and you use wrong technique.

4 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Severino seems to me to be a guy that could be a great leader to a team that was good.  He shows fire at times but gets very lackluster when things are not going the team or his way.  Machado did same type thing were he didn’t give full effort on the bad teams.  

I'd think an actual leader wouldn't downshift his effort because the team he was on wasn't competitive.

At least not in April.

Just now, bpilktree said:

It was the third inning and he just went to catch it instead of blocking it.  It was not an effort play just a technique that happens sometimes at catcher.  A ball breaks or moves more then you suspect and you use wrong technique.

Yea!  I'm sure if it was the ninth inning of a perfect game Severino would have tried harder!

• Upvote 1

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Yea!  I'm sure if it was the ninth inning of a perfect game Severino would have tried harder!

Again watch it he played it wrong. I actually think he got crossed up.  He jumps outside on a curve ball that is breaking down and in.  A lack of effort doesn’t have you move the wrong direction. 

7 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

I have to completely disagree here. He didn’t put in the EFFORT to get his body infront of the ball. He has 2 passed balls and 15 wild pitches, the large majority of them ones that a catcher who put effort in could have kept infront of them or stopped, instead of just “ole”ing them.

12 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Is that a leader or a frontrunner? It's way easier to step up for a team that's winning. How a player handles the down spells is what makes them. Hopefully he can turn it around.

1 minute ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

LOL. There is more to defense than passed balls. How you call a game, caught stealing %, etc.

Which of the Orioles catchers have had the better “caught stealing” number? Also...Calling the game isn’t too impressive with teams scoring 7+ runs the majority of the time.

2 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Which of the Orioles catchers have had the better “caught stealing” number? Also...Calling the game isn’t too impressive with teams scoring 7+ runs the majority of the time.

To me game calling falls on the coaching staff.  They should be the ones preparing the battery for the game. 

We are well past the age when catchers were required to memorize hitter tendencies. 

2 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I have to completely disagree here. He didn’t put in the EFFORT to get his body infront of the ball. He has 2 passed balls and 15 wild pitches, the large majority of them ones that a catcher who put effort in could have kept infront of them or stopped, instead of just “ole”ing them.

He slides to the outside on that pitch and starts to stand up which makes me think he thought a different pitch was coming. There are plenty of plays he gives lack of effort I just don’t believe that was one of them the way he moves his body.  

10 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Again watch it he played it wrong. I actually think he got crossed up.  He jumps outside on a curve ball that is breaking down and in.  A lack of effort doesn’t have you move the wrong direction. 

Shrug.  I just remember Platinum Glove era Wieters just smothering everything in the dirt. 

1 hour ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

LOL. There is more to defense than passed balls. How you call a game, caught stealing %, etc.

Both of our catchers are awful. Arguing which one is less awful, or more awful if you prefer, is choosing which deck chair is more comfortable on the titanic. Get rid of both of them.

• Like 1