White Sox Sweep The DH on Saturday

cboemmeljr

I know I keep harping on this but I find it truly mind boggling.   There is supposedly no such thing as "clutch" and over time the majority of players perform as well in clutch situations as they do in non-clutch situations.

But the Orioles put up another 0 for 9 with runners in scoring position today.   Since the start of the MInnesota series, 6 games, the Orioles are 4 for 53 with RISP (.075).   When there are no runners in scoring position, over that same time, the Orioles are 37/136 (.272).   This shouldn't even be possible to do what they are doing right now.

And after a good first inning Sunday in Washington where they got a few hits with RISP, they finished that game 0 for 7.   So right now they are 4 for their last 60 (.067) with runners in scoring position.  

What the hell is going on here?   This isn't just a matter of "they are a bad team".   Yes, they are bad.   But to be that bad specifically when there is a man on 2nd or 3rd seems impossible.

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

I know I keep harping on this but I find it truly mind boggling.   There is supposedly no such thing as "clutch" and over time the majority of players perform as well in clutch situations as they do in non-clutch situations.

But the Orioles put up another 0 for 9 with runners in scoring position today.   Since the start of the MInnesota series, 6 games, the Orioles are 4 for 53 with RISP (.075).   When there are no runners in scoring position, over that same time, the Orioles are 37/136 (.272).   This shouldn't even be possible to do what they are doing right now.

And after a good first inning Sunday in Washington where they got a few hits with RISP, they finished that game 0 for 7.   So right now they are 4 for their last 60 (.067) with runners in scoring position.  

What the hell is going on here?   This isn't just a matter of "they are a bad team".   Yes, they are bad.   But to be that bad specifically when there is a man on 2nd or 3rd seems impossible.

While I don't believe in 'clutch', per se (As in I don't think a hitter can suddenly become a better hitter just because of game situation really) I DO believe there are those who crumble under pressure, either by trying to hard to not fail or just can't handle the heat of the moment.  Look at Mancini at the beginning of the year.  He was pressing to try to show everyone he was back and once he got his head cleared and simply played within himself, he's been the Mancini of '19.  I think the whole team is really pressing now, and the pressure when they step up to the plate is leading to some really poor at bats.  And of course a lot of it is SSS and bad luck.  

There is truly clutch hitting and that is because hitting is most all psychological. I have never heard anyone say there is not clutch hitting until now.  Goes to show if you live long enough, you will hear most anything.  But clutch hitting is only one of many areas that these people are not real Major Leaguers.  They are for the most part a collection of Minor Leaguers. Go Orioles.