Hyde: "We are finding out about our guys."

wildcard

I understand that the team isn't good. That doesn't take away from the fact that they still have an obligation to put a somewhat competitive product on the field. We are not talking about going from 70 to 80 wins...mors like 50ish to 60ish wins. They are beyond the point of needing to make some moves for the ML team.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I appreciate your concerns about the catching but I think we can all agree that the situation is having placeholders until AR is ready.  

I was hoping one of the placeholders would show enough to cement themself as the heir apparent backup catcher.

Severino and Sisco have failed that test so far and I’m ready to see someone else get a chance. 

a597ad59-19bc-4688-9a0f-b597dfd2016f_tex

• Upvote 1

As I've said repeatedly, I find it problematic to criticize Hyde because I don't know what his marching orders are: to play a bunch of designated guys so the team can make decisions about them, to win games, to lose games and improve the team's draft position while the players themselves are trying to win (as some on the Hangout have suggested).  But I am pretty sure that under any circumstance Hyde is supposed to (a) with the coaches, help the players, especially the younger guys, improve and (b) try to create, with the help of the veterans a positive and constructive clubhouse environment, despite the lack of talent and the inevitable losing. 

He's certainly failed on the first count. Virtually every younger player other than Means and Mullins is performing below expectations. The second is less clear. Usually on a bad team you'll hear occasional references to how close the players are, how great the team's esprit de corps is, despite the adversity. I don't recall hearing any of that abut Hyde's teams. What I did hear was Palmer say recently that he was glad to Wilkerson was promoted because Stevie is an ongoing guy and most of the players have quiet personalities. 

I have no qualifications to be a big-league manager, but if were running this team I would, in addition to teaching guys how to play better, smarter baseball, try to do something -- anything -- to shake things up and break the negative mood. Declare a "no-shifting" series. Have a set of jerseys made with the players' names spelled wrong. Start LHers against a lefty, RHers against a righty. Bring J.J. Hardy in to play ping-pong against doubles pairs. Require everyone on the team under a certain age learn to juggle. Get a pitching coach. Have the players watch 1970 World Series games. Something. I don't know what might be useful because I'm not equipped to be a manager. But Hyde seems to have no idea, either, and he is a manager. 

1 minute ago, spiritof66 said:

As I've said repeatedly, I find it problematic to criticize Hyde because I don't know what his marching orders are: to play a bunch of designated guys so the team can make decisions about them, to win games, to lose games and improve the team's draft position while the players themselves are trying to win (as some on the Hangout have suggested).  But I am pretty sure that under any circumstance Hyde is supposed to (a) with the coaches, help the players, especially the younger guys, improve and (b) try to create, with the help of the veterans a positive and constructive clubhouse environment, despite the lack of talent and the inevitable losing. 

He's certainly failed on the first count. Virtually every younger player other than Means and Mullins is performing below expectations. The second is less clear. Usually on a bad team you'll hear occasional references to how close the players are, how great the team's esprit de corps is, despite the adversity. I don't recall hearing any of that abut Hyde's teams. What I did hear was Palmer say recently that he was glad to Wilkerson was promoted because Stevie is an ongoing guy and most of the players have quiet personalities. 

I have no qualifications to be a big-league manager, but if were running this team I would, in addition to teaching guys how to play better, smarter baseball, try to do something -- anything -- to shake things up and break the negative mood. Declare a "no-shifting" series. Have a set of jerseys made with the players' names spelled wrong. Start LHers against a lefty, RHers against a righty. Bring J.J. Hardy in to play ping-pong against doubles pairs. Require everyone on the team under a certain age learn to juggle. Get a pitching coach. Have the players watch 1970 World Series games. Something. I don't know what might be useful because I'm not equipped to be a manager. But Hyde seems to have no idea, either, and he is a manager. 

You could just give every hitter the take sign for every count and see how many can end up with walks before the other team figures it out.