Sunday May 29: Orioles attempt to avoid a 4 game sweep in Chicago

SteveA

3 hours ago, SteveA said:

The Orioles have yet to get a hit with a runner in scoring position in this series (they are 0 for 21).   I wonder if any team has ever gone through a four game series without a hit with a runner in scoring position.   Maybe the Dodgers in the 1966 WS?

SInce last Monday, the Orioles are 4/53 (.075) with runners in scoring position.   Without a runner in scoring position, the Oriole s have hit .272 since Monday.

And last Sunday after a good first inning, in the last 8 innings the Orioles were 0/7 with RISP.   Which means they are currently in a 4/60 stretch (.067).

We did it!  An entire series without a hit with a runner in scoring position.  0/3 today, 0/24 for the series.

Since the start of the Twins series we are 4/56 (.071).   We hit 40/162 (.247) during that span without a runner in scoring position.

Since the second inning of last Sunday's Nats game we are 4/63 (.063).

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

We did it!  An entire series without a hit with a runner in scoring position.  0/3 today, 0/24 for the series.

Since the start of the Twins series we are 4/56 (.071).   We hit 40/162 (.247) during that span without a runner in scoring position.

Since the second inning of last Sunday's Nats game we are 4/63 (.063).

Even if the players were throwing games, I doubt they would hit that poorly with runners in scoring position. Someone would complain they were making it too obvious that something fishy was going on. 

1 minute ago, spiritof66 said:

Really badly played baseball is hard to watch. Really badly played AND stupid baseball is a lot harder to watch. 
Either Wilkerson ignored a take sign or Hyde made a really foolish decision to let him swing on 3-1.

I'm a firm believer in not giving take signs at the ML level.

However, since this is the Orioles, maybe Hyde should start.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm a firm believer in not giving take signs at the ML level.

However, since this is the Orioles, maybe Hyde should start.

Why? There’s no way in the world Wilkerson should have swung at that pitch, and he apparently couldn’t figure that out by himself. 

Here’s what I have — one of the things  — I have against Hyde. Yeah, his choices for the lineup and pitching changes stink. But there’s no evidence that I can think of that anyone other than maybe Mullins and Means have learned to play smarter or more resourcefully under Hyde. It’s just the opposite.

1 minute ago, spiritof66 said:

Why? There’s no way in the world Wilkerson should have swung at that pitch, and he apparently couldn’t figure that out by himself. 

Here’s what I have — one of the things  — I have against Hyde. Yeah, his choices for the lineup and pitching changes stink. But there’s no evidence that I can think of that anyone other than maybe Mullins and Means have learned to play smarter or more resourcefully under Hyde. It’s just the opposite.

Because if you are a major league hitter you should know what you are about.

I never want to tell my hitter to take a get me over cookie fastball.

29 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Because if you are a major league hitter you should know what you are about.

I never want to tell my hitter to take a get me over cookie fastball.

I just disagree with that. If you're facing a real good pitcher who's missed the plate a few times, the batter is a marginal, AAAA-type  hitter, and you're down by two in the last inning, I think you have to take on 3-1, and maybe even 3-2. I see no advantage in having him swing at a cookie -- which he didn't get anyway -- for the slight chance he'll get a hit.  

I agree that I wouldn't tell a skilled "major league hitter" what to do. But this is a guy with 440 or so PAs in the majors, 30 percent of them strikeouts. He has to take a pitch and try to draw a walk.