Friday June 11: Orioles begin 20-games-in-20-days stretch vs Rays in St Petersburg

SteveA

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Well if you are fitting your ballpark into the contours of a city block like Fenway or Wrigley that's one thing but isn't the Trop Dome in the middle of a huge parking lot?

And if you look at some foul balls down the line like Trey hit earlier, you can see some empty space between the fence and the front row of the seats in the LF corner.  Makes those seats really suck and there is just empty space there.

It is a dome and was built as a multi-purpose facility.  It is possible that it would have been difficult or prohibitively expensive to put the bullpens elsewhere.

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

Palmer has, repeatedly, done everything but say outright that Severino is a terrible recover who sets a poor target.  He's danced around it all year but it's obvious how he feels.

But hey, at least he's not hitting.

Edit- BB reference having Severino at .1 rWAR is almost enough to put me off the stat altogether.

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Palmer has, repeatedly, done everything but say outright that Severino is a terrible recover who sets a poor target.  He's danced around it all year but it's obvious how he feels.

He does. I did notice before the HR that Akin shook off the first sign. I was thinking he would double up with the breaking ball.   

Palmer's right.  That just can't happen - throwing a straight fastball dead center of the strike zone on a 1-2 count.  That's obviously Akin's fault, but it's also Severino's fault.  He set his usual lazy ambiguous target around the middle of the plate!  He should have set up at the edge of the strike zone.  Just frikkin lazy or stupid.  Pick which one.  That isn't Major League caliber baseball.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Palmer's right.  That just can't happen - throwing a straight fastball dead center of the strike zone on a 1-2 count.  That's obviously Akin's fault, but it's also Severino's fault.  He set his usual lazy ambiguous target around the middle of the plate!  He should have set up at the edge of the strike zone.  Just frikkin lazy or stupid.  Pick which one.  That isn't Major League caliber baseball.  

I’m not a Sevy defender but he had his glove set up high as Akin threw the pitch. He dropped it as he released it.