Will Mullins start in the All Star Game?

Frobby

Well, the votes are in, and Cedric Mullins was not voted an All Star starter.   The voters went with Trout, Judge and Teoscar Hernandez.  Bryan Buxton and Michael Brantley also finished ahead of Mullins.   

However, Trout is on the 60 day IL and Buxton also is injured.    

That leaves AL manager Kevin Cash with a choice; does his start Brantley, the next highest vote getter and a five-time All Star, who hasn’t played CF in several years and is 34 years old, or Mullins, the natural (and excellent) defensive CF who is having his first full season as a starter?

Solely on the merits of 2021, it has to be Mullins.   But if lifetime achievement is factored in, it would not be shocking to choose Brantley.   Hoping it’s Mullins.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, orioles119 said:

All I gotta say is that the voters are stupid.  Trout?  Do people even pay attention?  

The best player of the last decade in baseball is going to win a popularity contest over a relative unknown who is having a breakout season on a last place ball club.

I agree with you that I want the fans to vote for the players having the best season to make the all star game, but the game has always been a popularity contest. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The best player of the last decade in baseball is going to win a popularity contest over a relative unknown who is having a breakout season on a last place ball club.

I agree with you that I want the fans to vote for the players having the best season to make the all star game, but the game has always been a popularity contest. 

You also get fanbases mass voting all their players in.  This year it was Huston and Toronto.  A few years ago it was KC.

Funny thing is, Trout is still 12th in WAR amongst all MLB OFers.

The crazy thing is that people actually thought a player like Mullins, who most people have never heard of and plays on an awful team that gets no national attention, ever had a glimmer of hope to get voted in.

He will start the game and make the team.  That’s all that matters.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Funny thing is, Trout is still 12th in WAR amongst all MLB OFers.

The crazy thing is that people actually thought a player like Mullins, who most people have never heard of and plays on an awful team that gets no national attention, ever had a glimmer of hope to get voted in.

He will start the game and make the team.  That’s all that matters.

I am not excited that Trout is injured, but I’m excited that his injury opens a potential door for Mullins to start the game.   He deserved it, so long as this year’s performance is the principal criterion.  

17 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I did not expect Mullins to get voted in either.   But then again — Teoscar Hernandez?    Not exactly a household name.   

Just now, Frobby said:

I did not expect Mullins to get voted in either.   But then again — Teoscar Hernandez?    Not exactly a household name.   

No that is very surprising  but he at least has been good in the past.  

But this is what happens when you allow online voting and an entire (large) country to voting for you.