MLB Draft Orioles: CBS Orioles C Henry Davis MLB.com - “insert discount selection here”

Roll Tide

Both FG and MLB.com have Watson at #4.  Also, read rumors he is likely to sign an under slot deal. So, possibly BPA and under slot at #5. Another thing to include, FG said Watson would rank as the #64 best minor league prospect if he were eligible. Gunnar is listed at #88.

2021 Draft Prospects | THE BOARD | FanGraphs

Top Baseball Draft Prospects (mlb.com)

5 minutes ago, SpOkane said:

Both FG and MLB.com have Watson at #4.  Also, read rumors he is likely to sign an under slot deal. So, possibly BPA and under slot at #5. Another thing to include, FG said Watson would rank as the #64 best minor league prospect if he were eligible. Gunnar is listed at #88.

2021 Draft Prospects | THE BOARD | FanGraphs

Top Baseball Draft Prospects (mlb.com)

I'm not saying anything about Watson when I say this.

I think anyone slotting a HS player that isn't a generational 1-1 guy in their top 100 prospect list pre-draft is just guessing.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’m not thrilled with the idea of taking a 2B #5 overall. Wish we could trade back like the NFL. I’m not a draft expert, but I don’t see how we pass on Kumar Rocker. He’d be a fast riser and slot into a MLB rotation in 2023 behind Means, Gray Rod and Hall. 

I hope we do pass on Rocker.  I'm very skeptical on him,  especially in the top 5.  

I really do not seeing 5’9” as being an issue.  The evaluation of the skill-set is what matters.  Others guys with heights listed around 5’9” include:

Cedric Mullins - 5’8”

Mookie Betts - 5’9”

Ozzie Albies - 5’8”

Jose Ramirez - 5’9”

Alex Bregman - 5’11” (allegedly)

Andrew Benintendi - 5’10”

Marcus Stroman - 5’7”

Adam Eaton - 5’9”

Wander Franco - 5’10”

Although most guys in MLB are 6’0” and above, its not a requirement for success.  And this list includes MVP type players.  

Altuve is a real outlier because, as mentioned above, he’s probably only 5’5”.   

• Upvote 3

This draft is wide open. There's no clear consensus #1 pick.  There are a lot of good players that could go anywhere in the top 5.  As usual, signability will matter.  

Seriously, these industry insiders all have different mock drafts and their guesses are just as good as ours.  Sure, they're all hearing different things...different being the key word.  None of them really can tell.  

That said, I'm assuming we'll take someone who'll sign for under slot and Elias will keep his draft strategy from last year.

Look, he did show us that if there's a consensus pick at #1, he'll take it.  He did it with AR.  He changed up his strategy last year and that's fine, even though I think Kjerstad will be a bust it doesn't have anything to do with his playing ability, most likely.  

Whoever we pick at #5 will probably be a good selection that will be complained about by some, lauded by others.  That's just how it'll go.

When you step back and look at what he's done since he's taken over, it's pretty damn good.  I'm not saying it's an amazing job, but it's been a solid one and the story isn't over yet.  

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, jdwilde1 said:

I really do not seeing 5’9” as being an issue.  The evaluation of the skill-set is what matters.  Others guys with heights listed around 5’9” include:

Cedric Mullins - 5’8”

Mookie Betts - 5’9”

Ozzie Albies - 5’8”

Jose Ramirez - 5’9”

Alex Bregman - 5’11” (allegedly)

Andrew Benintendi - 5’10”

Marcus Stroman - 5’7”

Adam Eaton - 5’9”

Wander Franco - 5’10”

Although most guys in MLB are 6’0” and above, its not a requirement for success.  And this list includes MVP type players.  

Altuve is a real outlier because, as mentioned above, he’s probably only 5’5”.   

And with Cedric Mullins I’m not buying his listed height of 5’8”, he’s probably only 5’8” when wearing spikes. 

6 hours ago, lovetoaster said:

The title of this thread should be changed. It’s incredibly misleading. This basically says that the “discount pick” narrative is out there, but Watson is not one of those guys. And neither is Davis, so I’m not sure what the point is. Those are both top tier guys. 

So two mocks don’t agree…it happens. That doesn’t mean that either is a “discount” pick. 

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-mock-draft-june-30-2021

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

You’re missing my point, and you’re missing the “but” in the information that you quote. And your title is still misleading. 

It says that by picking Watson, we wouldn’t be going the “discount” route. Once again, neither Watson or Davis would be a discount selection. Both are top-5 quality picks. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Another year of not taking the BPA if they follow the MLB.com plan ☹️

Why do you say that? I’m literally watching the MLB Network Top 100 Draft Prospects rankings special right now, and they have Watson at No. 4 and Davis at No. 5. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, lovetoaster said:

You’re missing my point, and you’re missing the “but” in the information that you quote. And your title is still misleading. 

It says that by picking Watson, we wouldn’t be going the “discount” route. Once again, neither Watson or Davis would be a discount selection. Both are top-5 quality picks. 

Well Dude ….I didn’t write it! Read the blurb in the article from the MLB.com writer. The CBS name was mentioned on channel 13. While it’s fine that the title confuses you but it’s a direct quote from the writer.

4 hours ago, lovetoaster said:

Why do you say that? I’m literally watching the MLB Network Top 100 Draft Prospects rankings special right now, and they have Watson at No. 4 and Davis at No. 5. 

Because the article mentions it as a direct quote. The Orioles didn’t take the BPA last year and said player might end up a complete bust due to health. In regards to this year the MLB writer suggest Elias is looking for a bargain emphasis over the BPA. Will the two align this draft at #5? Possibly….Will Elias move to the 10-15th best player at the last minute? I think that’s the point the writer is making. My comment relates directly to the article written by the writer.