N. Swisher traded to Yankees.

eddie-eddie

Unfortunately, if this is true it'll effect the Orioles as well. I don't think we're any more immune from this than most other teams.

Right. Some teams will be better off based upon where their owners have their money. Some teams are already capitalizing on this (Yanks and Nats). Lets hope PA was wise with his money because if not, we may only get coal under our tree.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yea I meant HR/FB.

I am not saying that is why he is unlucky. The dude thinks Swisher was on steroids.

Well, his year really wasn't that low bad his best BA in the last 5 years was .262 and his OPS was only over .800 twice in that time frame.

I think we're just talking about an over rated player - particularly at 1b - who's paid too much and just had a down year. He better be a good defender.

The Yankees.com article was misleading. It made it sound like Cashman was set to put Swisher at first. That appears to be a smoke screen when you listen to Cashman's press conference. It appears that Swisher is placed at first until the Yankee acquire a better solution(Tex). It sounds like Cashman is just as comfortable with Swisher at a corner outfield position. Nady will handle the other corner.

(Damon and Matsui will either DH or be traded. That is my opinion.)

This move certainly does not sound like it takes the Yankees out of the bidding for Tex. Instead it does two things. It allows the Yankees to have a cheaper player instead of Abreu in the OF corner position which frees money to use for their pursuit of Tex. And two, it puts the Yankees in a stronger negotiating position with Boras in their talk about Tex.

Here is the full audio of Cashman's comments.

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081113&content_id=3678194&vkey=hotstove2008&fext=.jsp

Click "listen" which is written after Cashman conference call

The Yanks may still be in on Tex, who knows.

But this does make it less likely.

The Yankees have a lot of needs.

The problem is, AM needs to come out firing. According to the Sun, Tex is our highest priority and we really covet him.

Seeing as we haven't signed Markakis in these last 15 days, i hope we have been putting together our first offer for Tex and that we plan on presenting it to him ASAP.

I just am not sure if I believe we will have a serious offer on the table for Tex before TGiving.

The Yanks may still be in on Tex, who knows.

But this does make it less likely.

The Yankees have a lot of needs.

The problem is, AM needs to come out firing. According to the Sun, Tex is our highest priority and we really covet him.

Seeing as we haven't signed Markakis in these last 15 days, i hope we have been putting together our first offer for Tex and that we plan on presenting it to him ASAP.

I just am not sure if I believe we will have a serious offer on the table for Tex before TGiving.

It'd seriously make my year (yeah, I'm aware that's pathetic) if AM came out firing (stop laughing ya bums!) and Tex was an Oriole by tomorrow afternoon. :pray:

With Huff signed for '09 and Scott available for the next 3 years at reasonable salaries, I just don't think Swisher's contract makes sense for the Orioles and am glad we didn't give up 3 prospects, event C+ ones, for him. And, I think the Yanks are overpaying, in players and salary, for him.

Also, unless Teixeira steps up and tells Boras he wants a deal done quickly, don't expect it to get done quickly. That isn't Team Boras' style/history. And, generally, when a player hires Boras, he knows what he's getting into.

With Huff signed for '09 and Scott available for the next 3 years at reasonable salaries, I just don't think Swisher's contract makes sense for the Orioles and am glad we didn't give up 3 prospects, event C+ ones, for him. And, I think the Yanks are overpaying, in players and salary, for him.

Also, unless Teixeira steps up and tells Boras he wants a deal done quickly, don't expect it to get done quickly. That isn't Team Boras' style/history. And, generally, when a player hires Boras, he knows what he's getting into.

I think he'll be signed during the winter meetings. Boras likes to use the sense of urgency at the winter meetings and play GMs off each other.

I think he'll be signed during the winter meetings. Boras likes to use the sense of urgency at the winter meetings and play GMs off each other.

You may be right, but it's not unusual for Boras negotiations to go past the new year, too.

I'm not buying it. Our biggest competition is the Angels and Sux, IMO. As others have pointed out, it makes no sense for the Skanks to pursue Tex now.

Wishful thinking... Swisher will not be the Yankees Opening Day 1b. Teix makes a lot of sense for them now if they really are going to spend what they say they are going to spend.

Wishful thinking... Swisher will not be the Yankees Opening Day 1b. Teix makes a lot of sense for them now if they really are going to spend what they say they are going to spend.

I doubt it.

Considering the Skanks have about 10 guys for the OF right now, I'm pretty confident one of them (most likely Swisher) will be their 1B for the next couple of seasons, and they'll make a full-fledged assault for Pujols at that time.

Cashman refused to say he's out of the Texiera sweepstakes, and I suppose something wacky could happen like a trade of Damon or Xavier Nady, which could shift Swisher to a corner outfield spot. But don't bet on that. Cashman is emphasizing defense, and Swisher's best position is first base.

Furthermore, by staying engaged in the Teixeira talks, Cashman can at least create the perception that he's involved, thereby driving up the price for the Angels and Red Sox on Teixeira.

http://blogs.trb.com/sports/baseball/blog/2008/11/transaction_analysis_nick_swis.html

The blog that this guy posted titled "the Yankees and their bags of cash" is quite interesting, he basically states that giving long term deals to FAs is a step in the wrong direction for the Yankees.

Personally, I have no prob with NY getting CC, so long as it minimizes their impact on the Tex & Burnett dealings.

Archived