N. Swisher traded to Yankees.

eddie-eddie

Guest BrettMeister86

Well it looks like the Yankees want to make a serious run at Burnett or Lowe to complement Sabathia and are focusing the big money on big name pitching. I agree that SS is a position of need but I don't see Greene being very difficult to land at all and (gasp) may even see a series of quick set up moves in preparation for Tex's homecoming.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They also received Betemit and Nunez so it isn't as lop sided as it first appeared. Anyway, if the YES report is true and Swisher is their 1B than that pretty much leaves the Angels and Orioles as primary suitors for Tex (I just don't see why the Sox would compete much more than an initial offer when 1B isn't as a position of need)

Wouldn't the Yankees have to have some inclination that Tex wasn't going to sign there if Swisher is in fact their answer to man 1B?

Where does this place the O's as far as probability of landing Tex?

And more importantly if the stars aligned and Andy went out and inked Tex first could it cause a domino effect for other free agents. What I'm saying is... would an AJ Burnett, Paul Byrd, Koji Uehara, Rafael Furcal, etc. be more inclined to join an O's team they know Tex has already committed to or are they mutually exclusive?

Could a Tex signing trigger a free agent domino effect?

I think Burnett, Byrd (I don't want him), Uehara, and Furcal would be much more likely to sign here with a Tex signing. But the problem is, Tex won't sign a contract right away. He is a Boras client. I kind of expect this to drag out until early January.

But I do believe that Swisher with the Yanks has them believing there will be some cycle at first, between Posada, Swisher, and Godzilla. I think they are just loading up on fringe players to play around their aging vets as well as having a dominant rotation by signing both C.C. and Sheets.

My guess is Swisher will play backup 1B/4thOF/DH role with Matsui traded so he is basically an upgarde of Betemit and primary DH. The yanks are following the Red Sox lead and stockpiling good players at every position. They are building inventory as AM likes to say to avoid more last season collapses like this year because they know their farm system does not have the replacement parts at the moment. I feel the Yanks will still be in on Tex unless the real problem is the economy.

Their is talk that many vendors are not renewing their advertising at the new park because of the cost and lack of resources. You think AIG will be pasted on every wall like last year after the bailout.

SG is all about the Nick Swisher types that have power, hit for low average, strike out a ton, but get on base...

Swisher's SLG and OBP dropped this season though as well as his BA. It remains to be seen if he was a buy low guy or just a guy who's on the decline...

Much rather have Tex...

You can have both Tex and Swisher. That is the point.

Really. He and Damon have to be tough sells. Not counting Swisher, they have 3 corner outfielders with Nady being the third. And that does include a possible Abreu return.

I am talking about his contract? Coming from Japan he must have had a no-trade clause.

I am talking about his contract? Coming from Japan he must have had a no-trade clause.

My bad. I thought you were talking about the size of his contract.

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/new-york-yankees_111398168678860040.html

Yes, he does have a no trade.

He only has one year left. I assumed he had more when he signed his extension. Time flies. He could be moved if he waves it.

Take this for what it's worth, but I just spoke to a buddy of mine who is generally in the know with this stuff. He said Swisher will be playing 1B and the Yanks are out of the Teixeira talks. Shrug -- I'll believe it when I see it, but it's nice to hear.

This is the Yankee$ we're talking about here. Unless the $teingrabber boy$ are seriously worried about looming inheritance taxes, there's no reason for that organization to be stockpiling cash.

Let's look at it this way: cutting Jay Gibbons was a huge move for the Orioles. It would have been the equivalent of change falling between the couch cushions for the Yankee$.

Take this for what it's worth, but I just spoke to a buddy of mine who is generally in the know with this stuff. He said Swisher will be playing 1B and the Yanks are out of the Teixeira talks. Shrug -- I'll believe it when I see it, but it's nice to hear.

I hope you are right. If true, I bet Boras is going crazy over this.

Unless they trade a few guys, I really don't know how they can't be out of the running...I find it hard to believe they would put Swisher in CF. Don't you agree with that?

BTW Stotle...Where are you at with a Tex contract? How high would you go?

Archived