A glimmer of hope on Kjerstad?

Frobby

46 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Exactly.  He can start "Baseball activities" at any time.  No reason to have an arbitrary date like spring training.

If he's healthy enough he can start.

I’m sure the guy is getting medical advice.   If and when his docs say okay, no reason for him to wait.   

17 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I would assume Kjerstad is able to do some exercises or activities, otherwise they wouldn't be putting out word that he might start engaging in baseball activities before the year is over.

I was starting to think Kjerstad would recover from myocarditis, but have to retire from baseball. Just putting it out there Kjerstad might resume his baseball career indicates his health has improved, and that's more important than him living up to his first round billing. 

Without getting too far afield from baseball talk, what would make you think this specific combination of events? If he recovered from myocarditis, as is quite common, why would he need to retire from baseball? Eduardo Rodriguez was able to return, for example.

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Speaking purely on the baseball side of things, I hope he can play in Arizona this year, if they are having that league?

I just saw something that said they were indeed having the AFL his year.   I think Melewski has something.  He suggested that D.L. Hall might be a candidate.   I just hope Kjerstad is a full go for next spring.   Not really worried about getting him into the AFL at this point but that would be nice.

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I just saw something that said they were indeed having the AFL his year.   I think Melewski has something.  He suggested that D.L. Hall might be a candidate.   I just hope Kjerstad is a full go for next spring.   Not really worried about getting him into the AFL at this point but that would be nice.

They are back to the old system of having a month+ gap from the end of the minor league season to the start of the AFL.

Not ideal for pitchers, not sure you would want a top pitching prospect to be shut down for a month then ramp back up.

21 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

It'd be nice to see for sure. 

Glad to hear he's recovering from myocarditis, though.  Obviously that's the most important thing, I hope the guy gets to live a healthy and complete life.  

Absolutely, he got dealt a crappy hand and am just hoping he can pull through with a relatively normal quality of life.

I personally think the chances Heston comes back at this point is less than 50%.  He is currently starring at losing his first 2 years of professional ball and if he still isn’t able to go next spring you might as well count him out of Orioles future plans unless something miraculous happens.  He will be 23 in February (yes still young) but hasn’t picked up a bat or faced pitching in 2 years. If he is able to go full speed next spring the O’s probably wouldn’t see him before 2024 or 2025 when he is 26.  At this point they should drop him from the O’s prospect list until he returns to baseball activities. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, fitzi22 said:

I personally think the chances Heston comes back at this point is less than 50%.  He is currently starring at losing his first 2 years of professional ball and if he still isn’t able to go next spring you might as well count him out of Orioles future plans unless something miraculous happens.  He will be 23 in February (yes still young) but hasn’t picked up a bat or faced pitching in 2 years. If he is able to go full speed next spring the O’s probably wouldn’t see him before 2024 or 2025 when he is 26.  At this point they should drop him from the O’s prospect list until he returns to baseball activities. 

Why? It takes pitchers sometimes two seasons to come back from Tommy John surgery. Myocarditis is definitely a scarier health thing, but there's nothing to suggest it's not fully recoverable in a similar amount of time. His timeline will definitely be pushed back, but he's not going to forget how to play baseball. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

Why? It takes pitchers sometimes two seasons to come back from Tommy John surgery. Myocarditis is definitely a scarier health thing, but there's nothing to suggest it's not fully recoverable in a similar amount of time. His timeline will definitely be pushed back, but he's not going to forget how to play baseball. 

Because after a year there are zero indications that his situation has improved or changed at all.  After 1 year Tommy John guys would be deep into rehab and starting baseball activities again.  Like I said until something changes you need to assume he is out of the O’s picture.

5 minutes ago, fitzi22 said:

Because after a year there are zero indications that his situation has improved or changed at all.  After 1 year Tommy John guys would be deep into rehab and starting baseball activities again.  Like I said until something changes you need to assume he is out of the O’s picture.

Kind of a silly thing to say since initially he was not cleared for baseball and got healthy enough so that he could resume baseball activities.  He just had a set back.  It happens following TJ surgery and other procedures too.  Tons of guys miss a couple of years and make it back.

3 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Kind of a silly thing to say since initially he was not cleared for baseball and got healthy enough so that he could resume baseball activities.  He just had a set back.  It happens following TJ surgery and other procedures too.  Tons of guys miss a couple of years and make it back.

Not silly at all. He has done nothing a professional ball player would do since COVID with no indications of that changing. You guys need to update your expectations.  Heston is not an answer at this point and may never be unless something changes.  They had no problem drafting Cowser this year because Elias sees the same thing.  I hope he recovers and has a productive life/career but at this point there is absolutely no reason to expect that will ever happen.  Time to move on to the guys actually playing ball.

3 minutes ago, fitzi22 said:

Not silly at all. He has done nothing a professional ball player would do since COVID with no indications of that changing. You guys need to update your expectations.  Heston is not an answer at this point and may never be unless something changes.  They had no problem drafting Cowser this year because Elias sees the same thing.  I hope he recovers and has a productive life/career but at this point there is absolutely no reason to expect that will ever happen.  Time to move on to the guys actually playing ball.

I think our expectations are just fine, thanks. The current expectation is he'll be a full go in spring training next year. That's not, like, out of this world or overly optimistic. No one is saying he's an answer to anything. He was close to getting back into game action and then had a setback. They're playing it safe. If by next spring he's still out, then I'm with you that things are looking grim. I don't think we're there yet. 

And Cowser had aaaaabsolutely nothing to do with Kjerstad. Like seriously nothing. Not even a factor whatsoever. 

Just now, interloper said:

I think our expectations are just fine, thanks. The current expectation is he'll be a full go in spring training next year. That's not, like, out of this world or overly optimistic. He was close to getting back into game action and then had a setback. They're playing it safe. If by next spring he's still out, then I'm with you that things are looking grim. I don't think we're there yet. 

Well he obviously wasn’t that close.  Some mild work has caused a several month set back …. at best.  Until he comes back and shows he is capable he is a non factor and should be dropped from prospect lists.  We need to start leaning towards moving on to actual players

15 minutes ago, fitzi22 said:

Well he obviously wasn’t that close.  Some mild work has caused a several month set back …. at best.  Until he comes back and shows he is capable he is a non factor and should be dropped from prospect lists.  We need to start leaning towards moving on to actual players

"We" don't need to start doing anything. I opted not to include him in my most recent list, others opted otherwise. Either is fine, we're just message board nerds with about 2 pieces of a hundred piece puzzle.  I'm sure the club is closely monitoring his health and trying to make the best decisions for both the club and the player. 

As interloper said...I think our expectations are just fine. 

Glenn, I’m sorry if the proverbial “we” hurt your feelings, it really wasn’t meant for you. The “we” is referring to the members on the board hoping Kjerstad will somehow show up like Prince Charming and turn this pumpkin of a franchise around when there is no indication right now that will ever happen.