MLB top 10 signings

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Interesting that both Leiter and Rocker are unsigned.

Heard a rumor about Rocker's physical not being clean.   Leiter wanted to go to Boston apparently.   Could he just be trying to stick it to Texas as much as possible?

9 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Heard a rumor about Rocker's physical not being clean.   Leiter wanted to go to Boston apparently.   Could he just be trying to stick it to Texas as much as possible?

Interesting that Leiter would want to go to Boston.   We often here that free agent major league pitchers don't want to come to Oriole Park due to it being a hitter's park.   Fenway is certainly a hitter's park too.   Obviously there's a bit of an apples/oranges thing here, comparing major league veterans to a draftee... but I still thought it was interesting.

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

Interesting that Leiter would want to go to Boston.   We often here that free agent major league pitchers don't want to come to Oriole Park due to it being a hitter's park.   Fenway is certainly a hitter's park too.   Obviously there's a bit of an apples/oranges thing here, comparing major league veterans to a draftee... but I still thought it was interesting.

My guess is that he figures Boston is a lot more likely to be competitive in the very near future than the other teams that could have picked him.

3 hours ago, Aglets said:

I'm sure the teams asked them to.   That is a huge advantage for the agents if they know exactly how much more money a team has to spend.  "Oh I see you have an extra $700K in your pool, and my guy is your last unsigned pick.  What are you planning on doing with those dollars by the way?"

My guess is that the agents are able to get this information one way or the other.   

3 hours ago, Aglets said:

I'm sure the teams asked them to.   That is a huge advantage for the agents if they know exactly how much more money a team has to spend.  "Oh I see you have an extra $700K in your pool, and my guy is your last unsigned pick.  What are you planning on doing with those dollars by the way?"

That's pretty much what happened with Gausman right? 

If Rocker is having trouble passing a physical could that be a reason Elias and gang left him on the board when they O’s were picking? 

I'm not all that familiar with the build up to the draft for MLB but if it’s as thorough as football I’m sure team Drs looked these guys over, right? 

With that being said, I’m concerned with the lack of pitching that Elias takes in the draft but the optimism in me says he knows what he is doing and what’s best for this organization. 

14 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

I hope there’s not structural problems with his elbow or shoulder. But, considering the overuse this year and the fluctuation in velocity, it would make sense. Now the question is do you sign him or just get your pick back next year. 

9 hours ago, Paul in Virginia said:

Wanted to post this here as well as on the MLB thread, even though it pertains to a 2nd rounder.   Odd development!

Certainly makes you wonder if the O's were one of those two teams who talked 3M with Fabian.

9 hours ago, Paul in Virginia said:

Wanted to post this here as well as on the MLB thread, even though it pertains to a 2nd rounder.   Odd development!

I’ll believe it when I see it.  He was projected to be a top 5 pick entering the season, so he probably believes if he goes back to school he could do that.

Im still skeptical that he turns down the money and goes back to school though.  

4 hours ago, jabba72 said:

I think he's getting bad advice holding out for $3m. His numbers dont suggest he's worth that much. .249 BA, 79 K's in 269 PA's in the SEC. How is that worth first round money? 

Apparently two other teams thought so.   Johnny Damon hit .284 as a senior in HS.