Orioles trade discussion thread

Sports Guy

2 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Trading Mancini just makes too much sense, "spiritual leader" or no.

Tilting at the windmill of still believing the 2022 Orioles have enough good players to be interesting (more so if payroll is say $75M not $45M which we won't know for ages), Mancini's presence or absence on the team 6 hours from now is the strongest indication I think we'll get if Elias cares any about 2022 wins relative to wins further down the road.

Relievers oscillate every year so I'm hoping for Givens/Castro type stuff with Fry/Scott/Tate, etc.   In that realm anybody running good that end of July should go chase that dogpile before their arm blows up.

I believe more playoff teams are coming in 2022, so give us Mancini tomorrow, Adley next month and let's start producing "4th wildcard" merch.

26 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I was thinking the same thing when I read that we didn’t want to trade him because he is the “inspirational leader” of the team. That’s what we need right now with this record and team. I really feel we will regret this a lot by next season. 

1 minute ago, osravensfan78 said:

I was thinking the same thing when I read that we didn’t want to trade him because he is the “inspirational leader” of the team. That’s what we need right now with this record and team. I really feel we will regret this a lot by next season. 

Well look, we don’t know what teams are offering.

But putting that aside, I just don’t get this line of thinking.  Connolly has said that they haven’t had contract negotiations with him.  Let’s say he’s wrong and they have..why?  You have Mountcastle, you will have Adley over there and you have tons of DH rotational candidates.  Why would you spend that money?

And if he’s right and they haven’t had contract talks, why are you keeping him for 2022?  

I'm off the opinion that Elias is a cold blooded killer (in a good way) and would not hesitate to trade Mancini if the return was worthwhile. 

Has anyone been taking inventory?  How many teams are there left (in contention) that have need of a 1B/DH?

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Wonder if ownership is blocking a potential trade?  Dad certainly would have.

I’m pretty sure ownership has given Mike carte blanche to reshape the organization as he sees fit, my own wonder is whether he has an artificial sense of what Mancini is worth and he’s insisting on too much?

Blocking a potential Mancini trade is not impossible but so foolish asked to be out of the realm of a reasonable possibilities

21 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I'm off the opinion that Elias is a cold blooded killer (in a good way) and would not hesitate to trade Mancini if the return was worthwhile. 

Has anyone been taking inventory?  How many teams are there left (in contention) that have need of a 1B/DH?

Totally agree with this.  I also feel there is no way we get a good return, so expect him to be in the lineup tonight.

The Scherzer and Berrios benchmarks of last 24 hours perhaps seller-friendly, and believe at this hour John Means might have reached Best Available status.   No offense to Kyle Gibson, having his career year.

I think Padres are going to end up with Kimbrel now, and Dave Cameron can start his bullpen plotting for the entire final two months.