Orioles trade discussion thread

Sports Guy

5 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

I’m pretty sure you or I don’t know that. The owner’s last name is still Angelos. I want to say you’re right, but until I see evidence I don’t believe it.

I’m pretty sure you are correct that neither of us knows the private conversations and parameters between Mike and the higher-ups. It is always inexplicable when someone infers that I am suggesting otherwise.

My point was that the reasons for trading him so far outweigh the reasons for keeping him that not treating him is outside the realm of reasonable possibility. Yes, I am aware that nothing is impossible except a balanced budget, but still.

2 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Not sure I agree

Berrios: 781.1 IP; 4.08 ERA; 106 ERA+; 4.01 FIP; 1.233 WHIP; 9.0 K/9; 3.08 K/BB; Pending FA

Means: 284.2 IP; 3.67 ERA; 126 ERA+; 4.64 FIP; 1.043 WHIP; 7.6 K/9; 4.07 K/BB; Three years remaining control

Yes, I granted that point to another poster. I withdraw the comment. I do, however, I think that means does not have as much value, on the grounds that he has an injury history and not as much track record. He would bring back some thing but he’s not gonna bring back two top-five prospects.

11 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

I would say it's more likely that Rizzo might have been the focus in the market prior to him going to the Yankees. He may remain in Baltimore, but I don't think that the only explanation is the team being unreasonable in its expectations. 

The Yankees desperately needed LH bats.  They certainly never were going to be interested in Mancini.   Now maybe other teams just looking for just "bat" had Rizzo a head of Mancini on their list.   But Milwaukee (Velez, Escobar) and Boston (Schwarber) went other directions.  Not sure who is left.

Just now, Philip said:

I’m pretty sure you are correct that neither of us knows the private conversations and parameters between Mike and the higher-ups. It is always inexplicable when someone infers that I am suggesting otherwise.

My point was that the reasons for trading him so far outweigh the reasons for keeping him that not treating him is outside the realm of reasonable possibility. Yes, I am aware that nothing is impossible except a balanced budget, but still.

Wasn’t an inference to prove you wrong. I only meant that when Elias was hired I had the expectation that without PA in the way, Elias would be given free reign to do his job. I think that’s partially true today.

6 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Not sure I agree

Berrios: 781.1 IP; 4.08 ERA; 106 ERA+; 4.01 FIP; 1.233 WHIP; 9.0 K/9; 3.08 K/BB; Pending FA

Means: 284.2 IP; 3.67 ERA; 126 ERA+; 4.64 FIP; 1.043 WHIP; 7.6 K/9; 4.07 K/BB; Three years remaining control

Berrios is not a pending free agent.   He is under team control for 2022 as well.

3 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Not sure I agree

This. The same reason why some fans were disappointed in the return Manny got in 2018. Manny was only a half-season rental when he was traded to the Dodgers. If Manny was traded after 2016 season, then the Orioles were going to land a better package of talent. 

20 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Elias needs to pull the trigger on a trade if he can net a similar return for Means. 

I think the Blue Jays know Martin's value will never be higher. Questionable defensive ability, little power will limit his overall value despite the plus hitting tool.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Well look, we don’t know what teams are offering.

But putting that aside, I just don’t get this line of thinking.  Connolly has said that they haven’t had contract negotiations with him.  Let’s say he’s wrong and they have..why?  You have Mountcastle, you will have Adley over there and you have tons of DH rotational candidates.  Why would you spend that money?

And if he’s right and they haven’t had contract talks, why are you keeping him for 2022?  

Probably because the O's have holes at 3B/SS/2B (depending on how Urias do the rest of the season), starting pitcher or  a catcher to share time with Adley and Elias wants to trade Mancini for a major leaguer and/or major league ready players.    Hard to do that in July but a lot easier to do during the off season.

5 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Great return for the Twins. Wish we could have gotten at least that much for Manny.

I would have preferred quality over quantity in the Manny trade, but the Orioles were a dysfunctional mess in 2018. And they waited too long to trade Manny, after it became evident Manny was never going to sign a contract extension. 

12 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Wasn’t an inference to prove you wrong. I only meant that when Elias was hired I had the expectation that without PA in the way, Elias would be given free reign to do his job. I think that’s partially true today.

Well my original point was just that based on what we have seen so far, Mike Appears to have been given a free hand. With that in mind it is unlikely that he has been told not to trade Mancini.

9 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I think the Blue Jays know Martin's value will never be higher. Questionable defensive ability, little power will limit his overall value despite the plus hitting tool.

But Tony, didn't you know Martin is destined for Cooperstown?

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Probably because the O's have holes at 3B/SS/2B (depending on how Urias do the rest of the season), starting pitcher or  a catcher to share time with Adley and Elias wants to trade Mancini for a major leaguer and/or major league ready players.    Hard to do that in July but a lot easier to do during the off season.

You aren't likely getting ML players for Trey...nor will Elias require that.