Orioles trade discussion thread

Sports Guy

Boston has the worst first baseman production in baseball this year.  They are another suitor for Trey.

Although I don’t want to ever root for Boston to win anything, so that would suck to send him there but hey, if they give us the best offer and it’s good enough to move him, it’s a deal you have to make.

26 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Boston has the worst first baseman production in baseball this year.  They are another suitor for Trey.

Although I don’t want to ever root for Boston to win anything, so that would suck to send him there but hey, if they give us the best offer and it’s good enough to move him, it’s a deal you have to make.

Red Sox accepted the best offer when Eduardo Rodríguez was traded from the Orioles for Andrew Miller in 2014. The best thing Elias could do is trade Mancini to the Red Sox if they make the best offer out of any other team at the deadline. 

That being said if the best offer is a lowball offer for Mancini, then I'd prefer the Orioles to keep him. 

49 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

But the core is here or about to be here.  Either way we have is the core or we won’t contend.  It’s really that simple.  

It’s time to build around what we have and that includes trades and FA signings.  

We hope that is the case but there is no reason to rush. If you mean trading a prospect for Ramirez there is a good chance you are actually trading away a piece of the core. Get a core group playing .500 ball and you still have 3+ years to put together a real contender. 

50 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I'd hate to see Trey in a Red Sox uniform but if they make a great offer, fine.  Although the Red Sox's #1 prospect is a 1B who is 21 and in AA.

2 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Why is it an odd choice to have Baltimore, Detroit and Pittsburgh?  Those are obviously places he doesn't want to be.  With the current ownership, there is zero chance of a player with a large contract he wasn't earning being traded here, but Hosmer must dislike Baltimore so much (or not want to be on a losing team) that he wanted to block being traded here. 

9 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Why is it an odd choice to have Baltimore, Detroit and Pittsburgh?  Those are obviously places he doesn't want to be.  With the current ownership, there is zero chance of a player with a large contract he wasn't earning being traded here, but Hosmer must dislike Baltimore so much (or not want to be on a losing team) that he wanted to block being traded here. 

Exactly.  Can't say I can blame him for any of those selections.  

11 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I find STL and SF far more strange choices for a no trade list as they are franchises that win and make the playoffs regularly. I can get Baltimore, Detroit and Pittsburgh as to avoid being stuck in baseball purgatory for the remainder of Homer's career. 

13 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

3 minutes ago, Hazmat said:

Exactly.  Can't say I can blame him for any of those selections.  

Because there is close to a 0 percent chance of those teams trading for him.

Why bother using up one of your 10 choices to block a trade to a team that won't trade for you?

Now if you retain the right to block a trade to NY or Boston and those teams want to trade for you, you have leverage to work out the best deal possible for yourself.  You can of course waive the no trade clause once you get what you want.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Because there is close to a 0 percent chance of those teams trading for him.

Why bother using up one of your 10 choices to block a trade to a team that won't trade for you?

Now if you retain the right to block a trade to NY or Boston and those teams want to trade for you, you have leverage to work out the best deal possible for yourself.  You can of course waive the no trade clause once you get what you want.

I guess you just never know.  Perhaps, financially, he felt secure and, therefore, placed more value on teams/locales than leverage.  His list is strictly of places he doesn't want to live for several months out of the year.  I can't fault him for that.

23 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Most Baltimore fans I know can’t stand the sight of Hosmer, either.   

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Hazmat said:

I guess you just never know.  Perhaps, financially, he felt secure and, therefore, placed more value on teams/locales than leverage.  His list is strictly of places he doesn't want to live for several months out of the year.  I can't fault him for that.

I just think it was a poor use of his 10 slots.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I just think it was a poor use of his 10 slots.

Agreed. Either the agent did a poor job or there's a very unusual motivation behind those choices. The agent did not improve his client's position at all.

19 minutes ago, 7Mo said:

Agreed. Either the agent did a poor job or there's a very unusual motivation behind those choices. The agent did not improve his client's position at all.

The agent (Boras) got a mediocre player $144 mm.    Hosmer should be kissing his feet.   And yes, it is unlikely that Detroit, Pittsburgh or Baltimore would be a landing spot for a trade, but strange things happen in baseball.   

• Upvote 1