Valaika DFA. Mateo replaces him

eddie83

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I can see the stats and see why Mateo was available, but I can also see the tools why teams will keep giving him a chance. 80 speed, plus range and arm for a 2Bman, gap power guy. Worth taking a long look for sure.

If nothing else he's entertaining.

We can all use another reason to tune in to a game.

51 minutes ago, Ridgway22 said:

Beckham? Broxton? Also, Jimmy Santiago Paredes comes to mind.

This guy could be entertaining to watch. 

I actually saw Jimmy Paredes playing baseball a month or so ago when I went to a WV Power game, they used to be minor league team.  

• Like 1

Just now, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

I’ll have to Google that, what league is that?

They are in the Atlantic League now,  Previously they were in the South Atlantic League, and were most recently affiliated with the Mariners.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Virginia_Power

There was actually 3-4 ex Orioles players in the game I went to including Paredes, though some had only been in our minor leagues.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

They are in the Atlantic League now,  Previously they were in the South Atlantic League, and were most recently affiliated with the Mariners.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Virginia_Power

There was actually 3-4 ex Orioles players in the game I went to including Paredes, though some had only been in our minor leagues.

It looks like he was released and now playing in the Mexican league (Paredes).

5 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Or they saw a pitcher who can eat some low leverage innings and then DFA when used up. 

As I said, I don't think Elias is dumb at all, but I am waiting to hear a story where "the system" saw something that others didn't and found a useful player for the future.

There isn’t a magic that others do not have anymore. There are special scouts. There are special coaches and managers. Most teams have models and algorithms and nerds with pocket protectors and taped glasses. They are all intelligent. Sometimes, they just get lucky and things fall right into their laps. 

I will just say that Mike Elias has done a good job so far. A lot of work to do to fulfill his goals here. So far, I am happy with his progress, overall.