Paul Fry

coe76

15 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Yeah. Even last night was tight until the 8th. I can’t stand being down 6-0 Top 4th. Shame Ryan is out.  

Hope we beat Tigers a couple of games. Rough road trip coming up. Schedule getting harder. It’s obvious to all of us but they are undermanned vs good teams. After a good start after break I’m afraid it’s going to get real ugly. 

I can see a 2002 like collapse where the team closed out the year with four wins in their last 32 games. At least with the 2002 team we got the benefit of them being 63-63 before it got ugly. 

8 minutes ago, fansince71 said:

Out scored 31-15 In the series and Tampa scored 16 runs in the 8th inning. Brutal! As someone once said were 2 years away from being 2 years away.

We can buy a lot of pieces when the time comes.  Exempting Davis, our payroll is microscopic. 

But it would be really nice to not have to buy an entire bullpen.  We've got to have a few salvageable parts in this wreck.

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I can see a 2002 like collapse where the team closed out the year with four wins in their last 32 games. At least with the 2002 team we got the benefit of them being 63-63 before it got ugly. 

I was thinking about 02 today myself. The SP has been more serviceable as of late. Especially by Orioles standards. 

I just looked up 02 team. They finished 7th in ERA that year. I am floored by that. 

45 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

We can buy a lot of pieces when the time comes.  Exempting Davis, our payroll is microscopic. 

But it would be really nice to not have to buy an entire bullpen.  We've got to have a few salvageable parts in this wreck.

Bullpen is last part of puzzle I am worried about. The better the rotation is the better the odds are the pen will be. Let’s hope we get to a point where the pen matters. It could be the difference between winning a title or not but we aren’t at a point yet to worry about it. No reason a good GM can build one in house.  

Hopefully the rotation will be stronger than the 12-16 run. That pen was so strong. It had to be except for 14.  

11 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Bullpen is last part of puzzle I am worried about. The better the rotation is the better the odds are the pen will be. Let’s hope we get to a point where the pen matters. It could be the difference between winning a title or not but we aren’t at a point yet to worry about it. No reason a good GM can build one in house.  

Hopefully the rotation will be stronger than the 12-16 run. That pen was so strong. It had to be except for 14.  

Yep just look at the Tigers from the first half if the 2010’s. They had starting pitching, offense, but were ultimately doomed in the playoffs because of a mediocre bullpen. 

11 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Yep just look at the Tigers from the first half if the 2010’s. They had starting pitching, offense, but were ultimately doomed in the playoffs because of a mediocre bullpen. 

Oh woe is me.  I'd hate to watch a team fail in the playoffs because of a poor bullpen.

That's way worse than what we have now.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

You need to worry about getting to the playoffs.  Then you can worry about winning in the playoffs.

Make a trade for a Miller at the deadline.

That’s why I never understood why the Tigers didn’t step up and get Andrew Miller in 2014. The Tigers aren’t like the Red Sox or Yankees, where they can be confident a return to the playoffs is inevitable. 

Hopefully if the O’s are playoff contenders again, they don’t let a mediocre bullpen doom their chances. 

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

That’s why I never understood why the Tigers didn’t step up and get Andrew Miller in 2014. The Tigers aren’t like the Red Sox or Yankees, where they can be confident a return to the playoffs is inevitable. 

Hopefully if the O’s are playoff contenders again, they don’t let a mediocre bullpen doom their chances. 

I'm not sure who they might have had in the minors that would have trumped Erod.  The Red Sox were obviously pretty high on him.

5 hours ago, coe76 said:

I know Fry has been effective in the past but right now he looks very lost.  Tentative, nibbling, looks almost like he has zero confidence.  If you are afraid to throw a pitch aggressively you need to step away.

If a big part of the problem is that guys are afraid to throw strikes -- and I'm not sure it is, but it could be -- move the fences back. It won't solve the problem (if that's it), but it will help.