I’m about ready to give up on DJ Stewart

kidrock

50 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well yes..which is what I have already said.  But I have a feeling if he had a 200/350/450 line, you would think he was horrible and should be cut.

He’s not contributing. If you think he is contributing, that’s great. But he’s not contributing. At the moment he has a career average of, I think, .212. And no I would not be happy with that. But he’s not contributing. I don’t know why you continually plant your flags on mountains of sand. If you want to be a martyr to a cause, pick a better cause.

Stuart defends lousy, he hits lousy. If you want to give him an extra thousand ABs to confirm that he hits and defends lousy, well, OK, but I don’t think we need to do so.

15 minutes ago, OsEatAlEast said:

I have a strange feeling about Stewart. Like he is one of those guys who gets released and then the light bulb suddenly turns on. Maybe it's just from years of being an Orioles fan.

That’s entirely possible, though he won’t suddenly run faster.

49 minutes ago, OsEatAlEast said:

I have a strange feeling about Stewart. Like he is one of those guys who gets released and then the light bulb suddenly turns on. Maybe it's just from years of being an Orioles fan.

Yeah I could see him going to Oakland and becoming Nick Swisher. 

7 hours ago, OsEatAlEast said:

I don't think Elias should worry about Stewart going elsewhere and playing better.  Elias should compare Stewart to Neustrom and pick which one he think will benefit the O's future the most.

10 hours ago, OsEatAlEast said:

Well, I would not rule it out.   I think his ceiling isn’t high but he could return to bring a .750ish OPS hitter with an above average OBP.   I wouldn’t necessarily hang on to him in the hopes that occurs, however.   It depends when other guys are ready and what their upside is.  

16 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

If DJ has McKenna like speed and defense I'd be more apt to give him more shots offensively, but since he brings negative value defensively, the bat really has to be special. Besides that amazing nine-game stretch last year when he hit like post steroided Barry Bonds, he's been pretty underwhelming.

If he's not DFA'd before the Orioles set their 40-man roster this offseason I'll be shocked.

This may be a little harsh, but he's the new Jim Traber.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Pickles said:

Does he make the majors in an organization that isn't historically pathetic?

I'm kind of with Webbrick here.  He doesn't have a single avg major league tool, with the exception of plate discipline and power.

He runs, throws, and hits well below acceptable standards for a ML player.

Has Tyler Wade been with the Yanks for five years OPSing .584?  Yep.

Did Jace Peterson get 1220 PAs for the Braves?  Yep.

Has Tyler Austin gotten as many MLB PAs as Stewart despite being a DH/1B with a .740 OPS?  Yep, mostly with the Yanks and Giants.

Did Rob Refsnyder get three years on the Yanks roster to stumble about the OF and OPS .643.  Yep?

There's no such thing as an organization that never gives chances to players that don't work out.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Has Tyler Wade been with the Yanks for five years OPSing .584?  Yep.

Did Jace Peterson get 1220 PAs for the Braves?  Yep.

Has Tyler Austin gotten as many MLB PAs as Stewart despite being a DH/1B with a .740 OPS?  Yep, mostly with the Yanks and Giants.

Did Rob Refsnyder get three years on the Yanks roster to stumble about the OF and OPS .643.  Yep?

There's no such thing as an organization that never gives chances to players that don't work out.

Nice list. Probably none of them have ever put up an offensive streak like DJ's best spells. All of them, however, can field better than him or have more utility skills.

56 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

This may be a little harsh, but he's the new Jim Traber.

What's harsh about what I said? It was a very factual stat based assessment of Stewart's defense along with my assessment that I don't think he will still be on the 40-man when it's set this off season. 

As for Traber, Stewart was a similar overall player besides he fact that Traber was a first baseman mostly and Stewart is an outfielder. Traber obviously didn't K as much do to the difference in the game, but they both ended up a low batting average, occasional pop with no defensive value players.

12 hours ago, OsEatAlEast said:

I just don't see it, and besides, Stewart is never going to have any defensive value so it will need to come from DH, and teams don't seem to want full time DHs anymore.

17 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

nt posts but I posted on the draft thread immediately after he was drafted that the O's just wasted a first round pick on a slow fat outfielder with limited power. I have been consistent with my criticism and I was correct. His only asset was OBP and that is not a particularly projectible talent, otherwise he didn't have any ML tools, and still doesn't.

Giving yourself credit for hating on som

Giving yourself credit for hating on someone when you hate on every player and decision is kind of like a weatherman taking credit for a partly cloudy day with a chance of showers.

That's hyperbole, there are very few players that I have been actively negative on, and hate is a word I never use, and an emotion I certainly don't have to something as unimportant as sports.

And my negativity concerning DJ Stewart was against management and picking players that don't have projectable ML tools.

I was/am against the Rutschman signing not because I don't want him to succeed or dislike him as a person/player but because I think it was a waste of a 1-1 to pick for a  college catcher, when the pick could have been used on a potential super star like a Bobby Witt JR, of CJ Abrams.

Sorry if my opinions are not welcome on OH.

I don't post often I guess I will  stop altogether, as just about everyone loves to make personal attacks rather than discuss facts.

I have never been baited into a personal attack on any other poster.