Chris Davis retires!

MurphDogg

6 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

1)  We get to appreciate what he was to the Orioles competitive teams of the mid decade.  We get to celebrate his career and how he made it from failed prospect to one of the most feared hitters in MLB. 

....then all that other stuff.

Honestly the drop off the cliff after getting paid has ruined Davis for me. 

I don’t care if he got lazy, changed the drug regiment that made him successful, or whatever.

He basically stole 100+ million from the fans and contributed heavily to the collapse.

I know that Angelos agreed to pay him. But, it’s the fans that suffered most. The team was hamstrung from the contract and the results were terrible 

• Upvote 3

Just now, Philip said:

Possibly, but I’m not sure how that changes from us previous situation. It sounds as if the only payroll savings will be the interest on the deferred money,

And other posters have speculated the Orioles might be having cash flow issues and they need the 2022 Davis contract deferred just to keep the team running. I'd doubt financially it's that bad, but I don't rule it out. 

3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

He basically stole 100+ million from the fans and contributed heavily to the collapse.

I know that Angelos agreed to pay him. But, it’s the fans that suffered most. The team was hamstrung from the contract and the results were terrible 

The 2012-2015 Orioles payroll plus the $23M Chris Davis got per year were each lower than the 2017 Orioles' payroll, and they still won.

The Orioles were hamstrung by a long series of decisions that led to a very inefficient payroll and an insufficient stream of cheap, young talent.  Most teams have dead money, many a lot more than $23M.  Davis' contract didn't help, but it wasn't even the primary thing keeping them from winning. If anything it was a symptom of an organization's poor decision making.

I started taking them less seriously after they signed him to that ridiculous contract and my interest in the team was reduced even further when they botched the Machado trade. They will have to earn my attention and respect back. Drafting Heston Kjerkstad didn't exactly inspire confidence.

I dont really see this is Davis doing any favors besides opening up a 40 man spot. He gets to leave the organization and keep his 2022 salary and his deferred payments. That shouldnt be how it works. I'd almost prefer he have to earn it and stay with the franchise another year. Which im guessing he didnt want to to. 

3 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Honestly the drop off the cliff after getting paid has ruined Davis for me. 

I don’t care if he got lazy, changed the drug regiment that made him successful, or whatever.

More than being upset with Crush, the signing was the final proof to me that there was a dysfunctional relationship between the O's ownership and their front office. I think that mainly falls on Peter Angelos and/or whoever he was consulting with (Buck?). Duquette had signed Trumbo assuming Davis would be gone and it was a great signing for that purpose. He had a plan. Angelos, on the other hand, either got suckered or had lost his ability to make sound decisions--about such a stupendous amount of money impacting the team on such a very long timescale. My friends who are fans of other teams, whether the gyro grill guy Mets fan on Queens Blvd. or the Cardinals fan filmmaker from Philly: they could see that right away. Still SMH.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

I dont really see this is Davis doing any favors besides opening up a 40 man spot. He gets to leave the organization and keep his 2022 salary and his deferred payments. That shouldnt be how it works. I'd almost prefer he have to earn it and stay with the franchise another year. Which im guessing he didnt want to to. 

Guess my dream of forcing Davis into a being full-time bullpen arm isn't going to happen now. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Yes!! We should bat him 1st and put him in RF every day. Let him embarrass himself so much he’ll want to retire. Once he gets in to negative 5 or 6 WAR territory, he’ll be begging us to keep on the money. 

Of course, no FA will ever sign here again, but the vengeance is nice.