Our old friend Jake Arrieta's has been waived by the Cubs

waynebug

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

The park has nothing to do with what happened.  Absolutely nothing.  It was piss poor coaching here.  

The Cubs saw what he had and he was immediately successful as soon as he stepped off the plane in Chicago.  Arrieta threw across his body a little bit which isn't ideal.  The Orioles tried to beat that out of him and it didn't work.  The Cubs let him do it, it's what made him great in college.  Turned in one of the most dominant pitching years of all time, several other good seasons and was a big part of getting them their sought after World Series win.

OPACY has nothing to do with why he was bad here.  That's lazy thinking.  

Adair was a major issue and Buck was the one that hired him. 

33 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well then I guess it's Buck's fault, ultimately.  If we want to play that game.  

33 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I feel that way 

2 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

He is only 35 and was decent as recently as last year.

He will definitely get another chance or two if he wants it. Not sure whether he would stomach playing in the minors if he didn't make a team, but he could certainly sign a minor league deal going into Spring Training with the hopes of making a team.

He just needs to spend 4 days at the Baseball Performance Center and some team will bite.

• sbauer changed the title to Our old friend Jake Arrieta's has been waived by the Cubs
9 hours ago, murph said:

Most here know, but someone has to say it.  It wasn’t the ballpark but the Cubs allowing him to throw the way he is most comfortable.   Which apparently the O’s didn’t.   

I bet he finds a job somewhere if he wants.  

You mean he found “palates”(cough cough he gained a bunch of lean muscle). 

9 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I will beat the drum until the day I die. The Os screwed up Matusz and I don’t know the guy but wish he would have been drafted by another team for his sake. I mean he made a bunch of money, but I still to this day believe he could have been on par with Grienke stuff wise, pay wise, longevity wise and my feeling and would love to find out if I am right or wrong but between the ear wise. My auto correct won’t let me spell ZG, but his struggles are well documented but not sure if Matusz has said or Indeed had similar difficulties as a younger guy. 

7 hours ago, sevastras said:

I will beat the drum until the day I die. The Os screwed up Matusz and I don’t know the guy but wish he would have been drafted by another team for his sake. I mean he made a bunch of money, but I still to this day believe he could have been on par with Grienke stuff wise, pay wise, longevity wise and my feeling and would love to find out if I am right or wrong but between the ear wise. My auto correct won’t let me spell ZG, but his struggles are well documented but not sure if Matusz has said or Indeed had similar difficulties as a younger guy. 

It's not like Matusz went on to find success elsewhere.  Arrieta did.  Gausman did (after stops in Cincinnati and Atlanta).  I'm more inclined to point blame at the Orioles for not being able to make those guys successful rather than dying on the Matusz hill.  That's a strange one.  

11 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

It's not like Matusz went on to find success elsewhere.  Arrieta did.  Gausman did (after stops in Cincinnati and Atlanta).  I'm more inclined to point blame at the Orioles for not being able to make those guys successful rather than dying on the Matusz hill.  That's a strange one.  

Matusz had a pretty bad case of Asthma, why a Mid Atlantic team in the most difficult allergy zone in the country would have selected him will always puzzle me. I think he could have been a very good pitcher on the West Coast / SouthWest 

3 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Matusz had a pretty bad case of Asthma, why a Mid Atlantic team in the most difficult allergy zone in the country would have selected him will always puzzle me. I think he could have been a very good pitcher on the West Coast / SouthWest 

He did, but whatever.  Again, he didn't go on to find success in Arizona or another place with a better climate.  

I thought Buck was a terrific manager overall, but he had a blind spot when it came to young pitchers and his choices of pitching coaches were spotty.   The irony is, when Buck arrived in August 2010 the pitching had been very bad all year and then turned on a dime the minute Buck arrived.  Matusz was actually unbelievably good during that stretch, along with several other of the younger pitchers.  IMO Buck made a big mistake not sticking with what was working, and replacing Kranitz with Connor and then Adair.   I’ve always felt the TTTP issue was overblown as a cause of the pitchers’ problems, but it certainly didn’t help.   

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I thought Buck was a terrific manager overall, but he had a blind spot when it came to young pitchers and his choices of pitching coaches were spotty.   The irony is, when Buck arrived in August 2010 the pitching had been very bad all year and then turned on a dime the minute Buck arrived.  Matusz was actually unbelievably good during that stretch, along with several other of the younger pitchers.  IMO Buck made a big mistake not sticking with what was working, and replacing Kranitz with Connor and then Adair.   I’ve always felt the TTTP issue was overblown as a cause of the pitchers’ problems, but it certainly didn’t help.   

That really hurt.  A young pitching staff and no stability. I still would like to know the whole Connor story. I know he had some health issues. Pretty sure that was discussed before he was hired. Maybe they just hoped he would be ok.