Rule 5 list

glenn__davis

22 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I too am confused. There are 3 things confusing me.

1. R5
2. 0
3. Dec '21

My best guess is R5 means they're already eligible for the Rule 5 draft; 0 means they have no options and will either have to be on the ML team or DFA'd and clear waivers to be kept, and Dec '21 means they'll be eligible for the Rule 5 draft this December, which means they'll have to be on the 40 man this December.

Is all/any of that right?

That's how I read it.

We have talked about this before but names keep changing.

As of now, these are guys you can easily take off (or naturally come off due to FA) the 40 man to create space:

Abad, Hartman, M Harvey, Knight, Wade, Watkins, Severino, Franco, Gutierrez, Valdez and Lakins

Up in the air guys:

Lopez, Stewart, Martin, Mateo, Bannon, A Wells, Mattson

Guys you definitely add:

Bautista, Bradish, DL Hall, Neustrom, K Smith, Vavra, Vespi

That leaves you with at least 4 spots left to add players and that’s before getting rid of anyone included in the up in the air category.

Obviously, some players will brought in as well that will be need to be added but you have breathing room for sure.  

And you should be adding Adley and GRod shortly after the season starts.

32 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

We have talked about this before but names keep changing.

As of now, these are guys you can easily take off (or naturally come off due to FA) the 40 man to create space:

Abad, Hartman, M Harvey, Knight, Wade, Watkins, Severino, Franco, Gutierrez, Valdez and Lakins

Up in the air guys:

Lopez, Stewart, Martin, Mateo, Bannon, A Wells, Mattson

Guys you definitely add:

Bautista, Bradish, DL Hall, Neustrom, K Smith, Vavra, Vespi

That leaves you with at least 4 spots left to add players and that’s before getting rid of anyone included in the up in the air category.

Obviously, some players will brought in as well that will be need to be added but you have breathing room for sure.  

And you should be adding Adley and GRod shortly after the season starts.

Wynns would be added to the "easily take off" category, no?

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

So "R5" in the "Options or R5 Status" column obviously means they are Rule 5 eligible.

But what does "Dec '21" mean?   That is when the rule 5 draft is.  Are those guys eligible too???   If not, what exactly does Dec 21 mean?

R5 is players who already were eligible before.  Dec. 21 are the ones who will become eligible this year.   

On 8/18/2021 at 1:26 PM, glenn__davis said:

Right - we'll need a spot for "back-up catcher/Wynns" either way.

Cumberland is R5 eligible, so he would need to take up an extra spot if he is protected and Wynns is not DFA.

I think Dorrian is looking like a "must protect" guy or very close.

Have to consider protecting Sedlock as he was on some lists to be picked last year and has continued to progress. 

I'd like to see more of Dusten Knight before declaring him "easy to remove". If he belonged to another team I would definitely be grabbing him because we need all the bullpen help we can get. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/18/2021 at 12:23 PM, SteveA said:

So anyone with "R5" or "Dec '21" will have to be protected or we could risk losing him?

That would make the list:

• Kyle Bradish
  • Felix Bautista
  • Cameron Bishop
  • Malquin Canelo
  • Jean Carmona
  • Ryan Conroy
  • Greg Cullen
  • Brett Cumberland
  • Claudio Custodio
  • Patrick Dorrian
  • Ignacio Feliz
  • Gray Fenter
  • AJ Graffanino
  • Adam Hall
  • DL Hall
  • Brennan Hanifee
  • Chris Hudgins
  • Tyler Joiner
  • Blaine Knight
  • David Lebron
  • Mason McCoy
  • Tim Naughton
  • Robert Neustrom
  • Ofelky Peralta
  • Ryan Ripken
  • Leonardo Rodriguez
  • Ramon Rodriguez
  • Cody Sedlock
  • Kevin Smith
  • Lamar Sparks
  • Adam Stauffer
  • Davis Tavarez
  • Frank Tolentino
  • Terrin Vavra
  • Nick Vespi
  • Ryan Wilson

On first glance, I chose 10 guys to protect.   I have also figured 12 guys I would cut to make room on the 40 man.

Abad

Ellis

Wade

Greene

Matt Harvey

Lakins

Mattson

Wynns

Gutierrez

Watkin

Martin

D.J. Stewart

17 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Cumberland is R5 eligible, so he would need to take up an extra spot if he is protected and Wynns is not DFA.

I think Dorrian is looking like a "must protect" guy or very close.

Have to consider protecting Sedlock as he was on some lists to be picked last year and has continued to progress. 

I'd like to see more of Dusten Knight before declaring him "easy to remove". If he belonged to another team I would definitely be grabbing him because we need all the bullpen help we can get. 

Cumberland doesn’t strike me as the type that would be taken in the Rule 5 or need to be protected. He isn’t hitting much in AAA and isn’t known for defense, which is usually the minimum for a back up. 

No one wants to protect Ryan Ripken? ?

30 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

On first glance, I chose 10 guys to protect.   I have also figured 12 guys I would cut to make room on the 40 man.

Good lists. I think I would also add Blaine Knight. Close call but seems like we can't afford to lose potentially good pitchers. Shame we lost a year in 2020 for evaluating these guys. I guess other orgs will be in the same boat. 

I know he did well in his first bullpen appearance, but I would have Jorge Lopez on the possible cut list. He is Arb eligible.

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Good lists. I think I would also add Blaine Knight. Close call but seems like we can't afford to lose potentially good pitchers. Shame we lost a year in 2020 for evaluating these guys. I guess other orgs will be in the same boat. 

I know he did well in his first bullpen appearance, but I would have Jorge Lopez on the possible cut list. He is Arb eligible.

I could be persuaded to add Blaine Knight.  I probably would.   Let's see how Lopez finishes the season.   

Here is what I have for the December 1st, 40 roster as of today, This list changes on a weekly basis:

Rutschman, Grayson Rodriguez,  Stowers not added until April.

1. Mancini 1B
  2. Mountcastle  DH/1B 
  3. Mateo SS
  4. Urias 2B
  5. Bannon 2B/3B
  6. Jones 2B/LF
  7. Dorrian 3B
  8. Vavra 2B 
  9. Nevin 1B
  10. Mullins CF
  11. Santander RF
  12. Hays LF
  13. Neustrom RF
  14. McKenna CF
  15. Stewart
  16. Diaz
  17. Means  SP
  18. Baumann SP
  19. Zimmermann SP
  20. T Wells SP/RP
  21. Bradish SP
  22. DL Hall SP
  23. Akins SP
  24. Kremer SP
  25. Lowther SP
  26. A Wells SP
  27. Blaine  Knight SP
  28. Smith SP
  29. Peralta SP
  30. Fry RP
  31. Scott RP
  32. Sulser
  33. Lopez
  34. H Harvey
  35. Tate 
  36. Bishop
  37. Bautista
  38. Diplan

Coming off the 40 man roster  before December                                                                                                                                      (10) M Harvey, Lakins, Plutko,  Severino,  Wynns,   Franco,  Valaika, Valdez, Leyba, Martin

On  the Bubble 

(5) Mattson, Jarrett, Adam Hall, Grenier, Vespi