Lopez to the pen

Sports Guy

25 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

And that’s why we should’ve traded Fry at the deadline before he blew up. You take a lesser package if any of the current relievers can bring a return because you’re likely looking at a lot of these SP prospects actually being RPs. 

We don't know what was offered for Fry. I agree if there was a good offer on the table you take it but do you really think he would be an upgrade for any teams looking to contend? You look at his stuff and track record and it's pretty obvious he is not exactly Andrew Miller. 

29 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

And that’s why we should’ve traded Fry at the deadline before he blew up. You take a lesser package if any of the current relievers can bring a return because you’re likely looking at a lot of these SP prospects actually being RPs. 

No. You don't take a lesser package for Fry because 2-3 young starters haven't worked out.

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

Not saying I disagree.  But moving Lopez to the pen leaves once vacancy in our starting rotation and Akin would leave another.  Looks like Zimmerman won't be coming back any time soon.  We already have a couple guys hanging by a thread to rotation spots in Harvey and Watkins.  Who should replace Lopez, and who would you replace Akin with if he has moved the the pen?

(hint:. You can't be a Philip and say "someone from the minors has to be better" without being a name).

Bring up Baumann and Wells. Or bring up Wells and move Wade to the rotation. We can eat innings with these guys and still look at Lopez and Akin in the roles they have the best chance of succeeding at in the major leagues.

9 hours ago, SteveA said:

Not saying I disagree.  But moving Lopez to the pen leaves once vacancy in our starting rotation and Akin would leave another.  Looks like Zimmerman won't be coming back any time soon.  We already have a couple guys hanging by a thread to rotation spots in Harvey and Watkins.  Who should replace Lopez, and who would you replace Akin with if he has moved the the pen?

(hint:. You can't be a Philip and say "someone from the minors has to be better" without being a name).

At the moment  I’m torn between “anybody in the minors has to be better” and “sheesh, everyone in the minors is on the IL” but I do tend to stand by my point. I had never heard of Spenser Watkins before he came up, and he hasn’t been great(after an encouraging beginning) but he’s been good enough to stay in the rotation, admittedly a very…very… low bar.

So it is clear that most of our possibilities are on the IL, but that doesn’t mean that a random guy at AAA doesn’t warrant his own chance to get blasted. I had seen enough of Plutko and Valdez by May, and I doubt a random warm body from the farm would have been worse than either of them.

25 minutes ago, Philip said:

At the moment  I’m torn between “anybody in the minors has to be better” and “sheesh, everyone in the minors is on the IL” but I do tend to stand by my point. I had never heard of Spenser Watkins before he came up, and he hasn’t been great(after an encouraging beginning) but he’s been good enough to stay in the rotation, admittedly a very…very… low bar.

So it is clear that most of our possibilities are on the IL, but that doesn’t mean that a random guy at AAA doesn’t warrant his own chance to get blasted. I had seen enough of Plutko and Valdez by May, and I doubt a random warm body from the farm would have been worse than either of them.

Because an ERA of 7 or 8 is no worse than an ERA of 5 or 6?

1 hour ago, LA2 said:

Because an ERA of 7 or 8 is no worse than an ERA of 5 or 6?

I’m not sure who you’re talking about, but If nobody in the farm has an ERA better than five, then woof…we in bad shape.

Make no mistake, I think we definitely in bad shape, but desperate times call for desperate measures.