Melewski discusses Hernandez and DeLeon

Sports Guy

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I suppose scrambling was an overstatement but I was referring to this.

To me the idea that he "Needed to find kids to fill his short season rosters" implies a sense of urgency.

OK.   I’d certainly agree that Elias/Perez have had ample time to find players to fill short season roster spots.   And, they’ve done so.   I think at this point the issue is more quality than quantity.   There are definitely more interesting international players to follow this year compared to past seasons but I’d still say we are below average in terms of potential major league talent at those levels.  

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I suppose scrambling was an overstatement but I was referring to this.

To me the idea that he "Needed to find kids to fill his short season rosters" implies a sense of urgency.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

OK.   I’d certainly agree that Elias/Perez have had ample time to find players to fill short season roster spots.   And, they’ve done so.   I think at this point the issue is more quality than quantity.   There are definitely more interesting international players to follow this year compared to past seasons but I’d still say we are below average in terms of potential major league talent at those levels.  

CoC...do you just look for nits to pick all day? 

The dude you responded to is 1) a good poster, 2) wasn't blaming Duquette and 3) wasn't implying that Elias is scrambling 3 years out to fill a roster. 

It's a message board, not a legal brief. 

• Upvote 1

Well one thing I noticed about the recent bonus babies is the non existence of pitching. Elias has pulled off some slick trades for DSL guys that flew under the radar. He’s definitely trying to grow those bats. That was the HOU model. Their lineup has been a juggernaut since 2015. That’s a nice run. 

With Cobb and Davis’ salaries “coming off the books”, we should be spending our full int’l allotment.  I’d like to see us make a big splash in the int’l market. 

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Well one thing I noticed about the recent bonus babies is the non existence of pitching. Elias has pulled off some slick trades for DSL guys that flew under the radar. He’s definitely trying to grow those bats. That was the HOU model. Their lineup has been a juggernaut since 2015. That’s a nice run. 

With Cobb and Davis’ salaries “coming off the books”, we should be spending our full int’l allotment.  I’d like to see us make a big splash in the int’l market. 

Was it?  Folks keep saying that.

The Astros used two 1-1 picks on pitchers.

I don't think their model ignored pitching.

They had issues with their homegrown pitching and needed to adjust and did so very successfully.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Chaka Garcia said:

Do either repeat the DSL due to age or would they move on to the FCL next year? Both would benefit from a good meal plan and lifting program either way.

The new facility should be done by the end of the year so I would think that won't be an issue going forward.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, RZNJ said:

The fact is that in the past we might have one or two legitimate prospects in the DSL.  Now, we have a bunch of 17 year olds down there with promise.  Same thing in the FCL.  Anything related to Latin players wasn't Duquette's fault.  It was Peter Angelo's.   Giving credit to Elias shouldn't require knocking Duquette.   Duquette as someone else suggested was all about improving the ML team with little emphasis on the farm system except for the draft.  Again, not really his fault, as it was almost undoubtedly mandated from above.

We also have to remember, and this is no a knock on Elias per se, but Elias has not drafted very many high school players so the FCL is made up of almost all international players. Although Elias has made strides in that department, even he will admit that this year's class will be the first class where they are on pretty even footing with the other clubs when it comes to a presence down there. 

Saying that, in year's past, the GCL was filled with drafted players (due to the 40 round draft and lack of J2 sigings) but very few interesting players.

Right now in the FCL, off the top of my head, Acevedo, Deson and Rangel all are pretty interesting as prospects. In the DSL Hernandez, Basallo and Del Los Santos are pretty interesting. 

There are others of course, but it does show the organization is starting to see some depth from J2 signings and trade acquisitions of J2 signees. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

We also have to remember, and this is no a knock on Elias per se, but Elias has not drafted very many high school players so the FCL is made up of almost all international players. Although Elias has made strides in that department, even he will admit that this year's class will be the first class where they are on pretty even footing with the other clubs when it comes to a presence down there. 

Saying that, in year's past, the GCL was filled with drafted players (due to the 40 round draft and lack of J2 sigings) but very few interesting players.

Right now in the FCL, off the top of my head, Acevedo, Deson and Rangel all are pretty interesting as prospects. In the DSL Hernandez, Basallo and Del Los Santos are pretty interesting. 

There are others of course, but it does show the organization is starting to see some depth from J2 signings and trade acquisitions of J2 signees. 

Deson was a very slick pickup in the Givens trade. 

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

The new facility should be done by the end of the year so I would think that won't be an issue going forward.

I don’t think it will be ready until 2nd quarter 2022 at the earliest.   In late March they said 12-16 months to complete.  https://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2021/03/23/orioles-announce-plans-new-dominican-republic-complex/

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think it will be ready until 2nd quarter 2022 at the earliest.   In late March they said 12-16 months to complete.  https://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2021/03/23/orioles-announce-plans-new-dominican-republic-complex/

Thanks, that's different information than I recall seeing before but not a huge deal either way.

• 2 months later...
On 8/24/2021 at 7:49 PM, Frobby said:

Just generalizing here but from what I recall from visiting the DR or RD, en espanol, things take a bit longer on "island time".  Hopefully, the "supply chain" has not been interrupted there and that the locals have been "encouraged" to keep things relatively on schedule.  As @wildcard might intone, JMO.  ?

On 8/24/2021 at 5:35 PM, Chaka Garcia said:

Do either repeat the DSL due to age or would they move on to the FCL next year? Both would benefit from a good meal plan and lifting program either way.

Just guessing, but I would think that there would be some local resources to provide meals and gym equipment until the facility is complete.  The complex and field improvement will take some time however.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Lots of nice little photos and video clips on that site the last couples of days.   And yeah that’s a pretty nice swing from Hernandez.  

The Creed Willems one had some Bambino look and feel.   Its a beauty of baseball that one year its Coby Mayo and the next year its Creed Willems' mechanisms that generate the raw power interesting enough to induce this regime to put $1M or more on them without the sample size of NCAA outcomes to parse.

I wonder if Willems' batting practice session in Camden was his only one, or if other Clubs brought him in.

If Willems becomes Tony's #3 prospect next year, Elias might need to start hiding the high schoolers he brings in for batting practice like Billy Beane hiding his draft interest in Nick Swisher.

• Upvote 1