Two pitchers optioned

Legend_Of_Joey

Spenser Watkins and Paul Fry were both optioned after today’s game. 

Both could be back before the end of the season, but Fry’s decline has been shocking. Hopefully he gets his confidence back and can finish strong. 

Hunter Harvey won’t be taking their place tomorrow, but Alex Wells should be one. Maybe Lowther as the other?

• Upvote 1

Too bad for Fry. He just fell off a cliff. Through July he looked like he was on track for a terrific year building off a nice 2020. Hope he can get back on track. I agree, we should see Wells. I also noted that Grayson is lined up with Wells. Could he be moved up to Norfolk if Wells is brought back?

Sorry about Watkins. Actually really sorry, but when the disappointment goes away, he’s got his lifetime insurance, a pension, two months of a minimum salary which is about $200,000, whatever the daily travel per diem is, And at the  Age of 29 1/2, he made The Show, and that’s not nothing.

• Upvote 4

1.78 ERA on June 18 and he was looking dominant.  11.05 ERA since then.  Foreign substances crackdown was announced on June 15.   So, it’s not a giant logical leap to think they’re connected.   He did have a ten game stretch from July 7 - August 2 where he threw to a 1.69 ERA though.   

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I'm hoping there wasn't a decent trade offer for Fry that got turned down at the deadline. 

I hope we never find out if there was a good one. Always sell high on releivers, way too much risk for something like this to happen, although I don't think anyone would have thought he'd be this bad after the deadline.

• Upvote 2