Jonathan Mayo -- Top high school prospects for '22 Draft

On 9/10/2021 at 9:51 AM, Ruzious said:

I'm no expert, but I think Jones is a better prospect than Green.  Have you ever seen a more effortless looking short power swing - coming from a guy who's maybe 180 lbs?  His father might have become an all-time great if he had stayed in better shape. 

Given the recent success of sons of major leaguers, you may well be correct.

If Jones and Green are close, that's great.   Because we seem pretty likely at this point to get one of the top two picks.

We've clinched top 5, and even if we somehow were to go 9-7 the rest of the way, which seems unlikely, Pittsburgh would have to go 3-13 or worse, and Texas would have to go 2-15 or worse.

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Chaka Garcia said:

I do wonder if Andrew Jones's son has the best potential in comparison to Johnson (small size/projected to 2b) and Green (lots of strikeouts) who can either go 1st or 2nd. I like that Jones has the genes, id projected to be a CF and has less holes.

I'm no scout, but Jones really jumps out to me - such a nice short effortless swing that generates power, real good angular size for a CFer at that age, and no noticable holes.  And again the genes - so many things similar to his father - who was ridiculously gifted.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Ruzious said:

I'm no scout, but Jones really jumps out to me - such a nice short effortless swing that generates power, real good angular size for a CFer at that age, and no noticable holes.  And again the genes - so many things similar to his father - who was ridiculously gifted.  

If he continues to progress, should be the guy we target for us.

9 hours ago, Ruzious said:

That gene pool theory has worked out pretty well for Toronto.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

You can also end up with Tim Raines jr or Pete Rose jr.  Both former Orioles.

Or Ryan Ripken.  

Rose (12th round) was a novelty pick, IMO.   Raines (6th round) was seen as a guy with a legit shot, but I don’t think anyone had dreams that he’d be as good as dad.   

It’s not too unusual to see sons of major leaguers picked high in the draft.   Jack Leiter and Bobby Witt Jr. are two recent examples.   Looking back, Ken Griffey Jr. and Barry Bonds weren’t bad.   It would be interesting to find every first round pick who was the son of a major leaguer and see how they did collectively vs. the average pick in those same spots.   My guess would be, somewhat better due to a few super high performers like Griffey and Bonds.   

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Or Ryan Ripken.  

Rose (12th round) was a novelty pick, IMO.   Raines (6th round) was seen as a guy with a legit shot, but I don’t think anyone had dreams that he’d be as good as dad.   

It’s not too unusual to see sons of major leaguers picked high in the draft.   Jack Leiter and Bobby Witt Jr. are two recent examples.   Looking back, Ken Griffey Jr. and Barry Bonds weren’t bad.   It would be interesting to find every first round pick who was the son of a major leaguer and see how they did collectively vs. the average pick in those same spots.   My guess would be, somewhat better due to a few super high performers like Griffey and Bonds.   

I didn't include Ryan because the Nats drafted him.

How about cross sport pro like Daniel Schlereth? 

On 9/11/2021 at 3:45 PM, Ridgway22 said:

Not to be contrarian, as you did qualify with "if he'd concentrated solely on baseball", but if i was ever going to bet AGAINST someone in the arena of athletic excellence, that person would NOT be Vincent Edward "Bo" Jackson.

You got that right!! The best athlete ever