Heyman on Tex Trade Talks

Maverick2143

But he's got to get the fans back. He's got to convince them that we want to win. He's got to convince the players that we want to win. He can trade for Tex as a statement and then still make trades and signings to fill in the other holes. We can lose Cabrera Liz and Hoey and still have plenty of pitching. It's not like losing these guys would set us back for the next 10 years. We're going to have to trade pitching for a 1B man anyway if Tex doesn't sign here and that 1B man may or may not be as good as Tex. So why not trade for a guy that you know will put up Tex's #'s - Tex himself. It may be a little pricier but you know what you are getting...

Convincing fans that we want to win, making a statement... It's meaningless. Winning is the only cure to the franchises problems. If MacPhail builds a winner the fans will come. Anything less is unacceptable.

Tex might be one of the pieces to turn it around and if so I'm sure MacPhail will make a legitimate effort to acquire him either via trade or as a FA. Or maybe he has something else in mind. Either way nothing at all matters other than the results.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
By WARP3, Youk is 2 wins better this year.

Now, part of that is Tex being hurt.

But you also have to consider what taking Tex out of Texas does to his stats.

I really don't think the upgrade is there to warrant giving up Lester and another player.

But again, i hope Boston makes this trade. It is better for the Orioles.

That's one thing for Boston to consider. Fenway is a terrible park for LH home run hitters. Tex bats from the left against RHP, so he's going to see a decline in his HR #'s...

By WARP3, Youk is 2 wins better this year.

Now, part of that is Tex being hurt.

But you also have to consider what taking Tex out of Texas does to his stats.

I really don't think the upgrade is there to warrant giving up Lester and another player.

But again, i hope Boston makes this trade. It is better for the Orioles.

I never said Youk, Lester, and another player. Just Youk and Lester!

Youk is 2 wins better than Tex according to WARP3, c'mon Tex was hurt for a month. Youk is having a hell of a year, but he is not near the player that Tex is.

Some stats that DON'T support your case:

Tex's HOME OPS = .961 --- ROAD OPS = .940

Youk's OPS in JUNE .762, JULY .657

In 2006 his OPS pre all-star break = .874, post = .728

2005, PRE = .813, POST = .768

2004, PRE = .831, POST = .708

If Youk follows his normal progression he is going to cool down throughout the summer.

Tex's OPS in April was .687 --- he is headed in a different direction.

Tex is FAR more valuable than Youk. I would do that deal if I were Boston. Tex just might put them over the top.

Just heard Stark on Mike and Mike.

He said he thinks the only 2 teams that are serious about Tex are Anaheim and Atlanta and he said both of those teams are wavering.

He said Texas wants 3 players, with one of them being a no doubt about it future star.

He also said that Anaheim has reportedly asked about Konerko(if this is true and Konerko would be dealt, which Stark said he doesn't think so, we shoudl try and trade Tejada to the WS in a 3 team deal) and a big reason for that is ridiculous demand for Tex.

That is why this time of year is so frustrating. One report has the price of Tex coming down because the Rangers just have to move him. Another says that the Rangers are asking for the moon and teams are shying away.

I understand that the very nature of rumors opens up this kind of conjecture but it doesn't make it any less frustrating.

PUMA

That is why this time of year is so frustrating. One report has the price of Tex coming down because the Rangers just have to move him. Another says that the Rangers are asking for the moon and teams are shying away.

I understand that the very nature of rumors opens up this kind of conjecture but it doesn't make it any less frustrating.

PUMA

They ask for the moon now in case someone is so desperate they're willing to pay any price. Then, if they're truly desperate, the cost will come down.

Personally, I don't think the price will come down at this point. They have a year and a half left. They can trade him in the off season where there is more time to negotiate or at the trade deadline next year, although his value will be less then.

Ideally for them, they wait until the off season. Some team on the brink needs a 1B and misses out on the free agent market and then ponies up.

Just heard Stark on Mike and Mike.

He said he thinks the only 2 teams that are serious about Tex are Anaheim and Atlanta and he said both of those teams are wavering.

He said Texas wants 3 players, with one of them being a no doubt about it future star.

He also said that Anaheim has reportedly asked about Konerko(if this is true and Konerko would be dealt, which Stark said he doesn't think so, we shoudl try and trade Tejada to the WS in a 3 team deal) and a big reason for that is ridiculous demand for Tex.

Why would the White Sox want Tejada when they are sellers? If anything we should be trying to deal Tejada to the Angels or Dodgers...

Lots of different rumors going around now. Olney has said that he's definitly getting shipped and listed about 3 or 4 teams. Heyman said the offers for Tex are going up and listed a handful of teams including the O's. Stark says only two teams and both wavering. Rosenthal says Atlanta wants him and its a 50/50 shot they get him.

Why would the White Sox want Tejada when they are sellers? If anything we should be trying to deal Tejada to the Angels or Dodgers...

For the same reason the Sox were talking Garland for Renteria....Williams has repeatedly said that he doesn't really want prospects....He wants established players.

They ask for the moon now in case someone is so desperate they're willing to pay any price. Then, if they're truly desperate, the cost will come down.

Personally, I don't think the price will come down at this point. They have a year and a half left. They can trade him in the off season where there is more time to negotiate or at the trade deadline next year, although his value will be less then.

Ideally for them, they wait until the off season. Some team on the brink needs a 1B and misses out on the free agent market and then ponies up.

They have the time that they don't have to settle for less than they think is a fair return. The only issue that might force them to move quicker is if they feel Tex is becoming a cancer. Some of what I've read recently makes him out to be less than the ideal teammate but I'm not sure if it's bad enough to force their hand.

From Jon Heyman:

Texas may be able to pry young first baseman Casey Kotchman, perhaps right-hander Ervin Santana and a third big leaguer from Los Angeles of Anaheim for Teixeira. Which sounds like a pretty fair package from here, and word has it that the Angels might offer even more.

Don't see the O's matching that. Another negative is that the Angels have the money to resign him if they don't go after A-Rod

Sorry if this has been posted before, didn't see any other threads

More from Heyman

Orioles executive Mike Flanagan supposedly isn't be all that thrilled Andy MacPhail has been brought in over him. Maybe he noticed MacPhail's record in Chicago.

• MacPhail, incidentally, seems to have gotten cold feet over committing to Teixeira, the Severna Park, Md. native who dreams of becoming an Oriole.

Archived