Heyman on Tex Trade Talks

Maverick2143

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really doubt that MacPhail would deny the Tex expenditure. How else is he going to building a contending club if he doesn't spend money on difference makers like Tex.

Maybe he doesn't buy into the hometown hero aspect as much and realizes that with what Boras is going to demand that the price to performance ratio of a Tex is not the best use of limited payroll dollars. Maybe he has someone else he'd rather spend money on. There could be any number of reasons why he might not want to go all out for Tex other than trying to save Peter's money. Maybe if Angelos really wants Tex MacPhail wants to show that he has total control by avoiding Tex.

Or maybe it as simple as him overly frugal and doesn't want to bring in big money players.

Maybe he doesn't buy into the hometown hero aspect as much and realizes that with what Boras is going to demand that the price to performance ratio of a Tex is not the best use of limited payroll dollars. Maybe he has someone else he'd rather spend money on. There could be any number of reasons why he might not want to go all out for Tex other than trying to save Peter's money. Maybe if Angelos really wants Tex MacPhail wants to show that he has total control by avoiding Tex.

Or maybe it as simple as him overly frugal and doesn't want to bring in big money players.

But MacPhail said something to the effect of the fans were the final say, the bosses. Does he really want to upset the fan base even more because the thought of Teixeira in a Red Sox uniform will not go over well with much of the fan base. If he really believes what he said about the fans, you'd think he'd a least throw the Orioles' hat into the ring.

Yeah, cause everyone is in to telling the truth at the deadline.:P

Exactly.

But i think that quote is pretty telling. Yea, Texas may have asked for Youk, Lester and a prospect but Boston isn't doing that.

Boston could go get Jermaine Dye for much less..Or maybe Minnesota trades Torii Hunter as they continue their slide.

Boston has other options and can still keep their guys.

But MacPhail said something to the effect of the fans were the final say, the bosses. Does he really want to upset the fan base even more because the thought of Teixeira in a Red Sox uniform will not go over well with much of the fan base. If he really believes what he said about the fans, you'd think he'd a least throw the Orioles' hat into the ring.

I sure hope MacPhail doesn't run the baseball operations trying to please the fans w/individual moves. Put a winner on the field and the fans will love you whether or not you bring the hometown boy home. Sometimes that will require hard choices that are not popular w/the fans in the short run. For example, look at Cleveland... Fans wanted Shapiro's head when he traded Colon. If he instead made moves based on what would please the fanbase in the short run they wouldn't be a legitimate contender today.

Exactly.

But i think that quote is pretty telling. Yea, Texas may have asked for Youk, Lester and a prospect but Boston isn't doing that.

Boston could go get Jermaine Dye for much less..Or maybe Minnesota trades Torii Hunter as they continue their slide.

Boston has other options and can still keep their guys.

I don't know, I keep thinking about the Sawx with Tex in the lineup and I keep thinking that is pretty damn scary. I would make that move.

I don't know, I keep thinking about the Sawx with Tex in the lineup and I keep thinking that is pretty damn scary. I would make that move.

But you are taking Youk out of it...It really isn't much of an upgrade...The power upgrade is there but overall, it isn't much and that is before you talk about losing the other players.

I sure hope MacPhail doesn't run the baseball operations trying to please the fans w/individual moves. Put a winner on the field and the fans will love you whether or not you bring the hometown boy home. Sometimes that will require hard choices that are not popular w/the fans in the short run. For example, look at Cleveland... Fans wanted Shapiro's head when he traded Colon. If he instead made moves based on what would please the fanbase in the short run they wouldn't be a legitimate contender today.

But he's got to get the fans back. He's got to convince them that we want to win. He's got to convince the players that we want to win. He can trade for Tex as a statement and then still make trades and signings to fill in the other holes. We can lose Cabrera Liz and Hoey and still have plenty of pitching. It's not like losing these guys would set us back for the next 10 years. We're going to have to trade pitching for a 1B man anyway if Tex doesn't sign here and that 1B man may or may not be as good as Tex. So why not trade for a guy that you know will put up Tex's #'s - Tex himself. It may be a little pricier but you know what you are getting...

Detroit made a statement when they signed Ordonez and Pudge and then traded away two pitching prospects for Sheffield. They made a huge risk when they did that, but nobody's laughing at them now. We made a statement when we signed Tejada. We need to follow it up by trading for Tex...

Whenever you talk to a casual Orioles fan or a player themselves, they all say the same thing - we need the big bat. So why not get them that big bat?

But you are taking Youk out of it...It really isn't much of an upgrade...The power upgrade is there but overall, it isn't much and that is before you talk about losing the other players.

Other player. I said Youk and Lester. Tex is a huge upgrade over Youk.

Career averages over 162 games:

Tex .284/.369/.534/.903 with 36 HRs

Youk .286/.388/.437/.825 with 14 HRs

Tex is also a year younger and probably better defensively, though I hate defensive stats and the way gold gloves are given out.

Tex is also a year younger and probably better defensively, though I hate defensive stats and the way gold gloves are given out.

That's not that big of an upgrade, esp. when you factor in money.

By WARP3, Youk is 2 wins better this year.

Now, part of that is Tex being hurt.

But you also have to consider what taking Tex out of Texas does to his stats.

I really don't think the upgrade is there to warrant giving up Lester and another player.

But again, i hope Boston makes this trade. It is better for the Orioles.

Archived