Phillies Castoffs

Hazmat

14 hours ago, Maverick Hiker said:

Speaking of the Phillies it looks like Joe Girardi's days there are almost done, after their meltdown to the Rockies at home last weekend.  I recall before managing the Yankees Girardi rejected the Orioles manager job,  as if he was above coming here and he would wait for the Yankees job instead./ 

Well  he won only one WS in NY with all the years he was there with that loaded team,  and getting fired by the Yankees. Now on thin ice with the Phillies.    Girardi  showed the Orioles up by indicating he would take the job then pulling out so good riddance. 

Girardi annoyed my as a manager with his pitching change tactics and some whiny things he said, but I don’t think he showed up the Orioles by not taking the manager job.   He thought he’d get a better opportunity, and he was right.   Let’s not forget he was a longtime player for the Yankees.   

I think he did a solid job managing the Yankees.   I’m glad the only has the one WS to his credit though.  I don’t really care what he does in Philly.

I remember I was in NY one year when the Yankees were mathematically eliminated.   The press kept trying to get Girardi to say that the team had been hampered by injuries.    Girardi absolutely refused to bite, and said the team just hadn’t performed as well as it could and there were no excuses.    I gained a lot of respect for him the way he handled that.   

13 hours ago, Frobby said:

Girardi annoyed my as a manager with his pitching change tactics and some whiny things he said, but I don’t think he showed up the Orioles by not taking the manager job.   He thought he’d get a better opportunity, and he was right.   Let’s not forget he was a longtime player for the Yankees.   

I think he did a solid job managing the Yankees.   I’m glad the only has the one WS to his credit though.  I don’t really care what he does in Philly.

I remember I was in NY one year when the Yankees were mathematically eliminated.   The press kept trying to get Girardi to say that the team had been hampered by injuries.    Girardi absolutely refused to bite, and said the team just hadn’t performed as well as it could and there were no excuses.    I gained a lot of respect for him the way he handled that.   

As I recall it Girardi pulled the rug out from under the Orioles after pretty much agreeing to take the job.  I think there were rumors he got a call from the Yankees who didn't want him managing the Orioles and sure enough a few months later Girardi replaced Torre.  

I never cared for Girardi as a manager or a player.  He said the right things such as the incident you cited when he didn't want to be seen as making excuses.  But there was a certain arrogance and not a very likable guy nor did he want to be.  The Yankee players didn't complain when he was let go as manager. 

7 hours ago, Maverick Hiker said:

As I recall it Girardi pulled the rug out from under the Orioles after pretty much agreeing to take the job.  I think there were rumors he got a call from the Yankees who didn't want him managing the Orioles and sure enough a few months later Girardi replaced Torre.  

I never cared for Girardi as a manager or a player.  He said the right things such as the incident you cited when he didn't want to be seen as making excuses.  But there was a certain arrogance and not a very likable guy nor did he want to be.  The Yankee players didn't complain when he was let go as manager. 

Funny thing is, the major complaint about Girardi was also said about Buck. He tends to stick to his older under performing players too much.

Girardi is much different than Buck. Buck connected well with his players. Girardi is weak in that regards.

Girardi being fired by the Marlins because of runins with their owner. Is a bit like Davey and King Peter here.

8 hours ago, Maverick Hiker said:

As I recall it Girardi pulled the rug out from under the Orioles after pretty much agreeing to take the job.  

7/18/07 - Perlozzo fired

7/19/07 - MacPhail meets with Girardi

7/21/07 - Girardi turns down the job

To me that hardly qualifies as “stringing the Orioles along.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.spokesman.com/stories/2007/jun/22/notebook-girardi-wont-manage-orioles/%3famp-content=amp

• Upvote 1