Tyler Wells 4 hardest pitches tonight.

waynebug

43 minutes ago, Pushmonkey said:

Shoot both but really the warming up. Ramping them up and shutting down. That could mean the pitched in more than 4 out of 5 days. 

That's a legitimate question.  I think that was one of Buck's pet peeves.  However, especially the 2nd half of this year, I'd say that's a non factor or minimal factor in the case of Tyler Wells.  

On 9/25/2021 at 8:57 PM, RZNJ said:

I think tries to win games with what he has at his disposal.  Wells has been either the Orioles best or 2nd best reliever this season and there's a pretty big dropoff after that.

Yeah I get that. Respect for the game, but I don’t think we’ve used a pitcher at any level this year the way Wells was used before his injury. The guy is basically fresh off the DL and you push in like that?  Makes no sense given our situation. Now Wells is a question mark, when he would’ve been the first guy you pencil into our bullpen of the future. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Yeah I get that. Respect for the game, but I don’t think we’ve used a pitcher at any level this year the way Wells was used before his injury. The guy is basically fresh off the DL and you push in like that?  Makes no sense given our situation. Now Wells is a question mark, when he would’ve been the first guy you pencil into our bullpen of the future. 

I don't disagree.  As you said though, he was already on the IL.  Someone also posted velocity readings of an appearance just  before the one where he got hurt.  I think they should have eased up on how often they used him but it's also possible this injury was inevitable.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, RZNJ said:

I don't disagree.  As you said though, he was already on the IL.  Someone also posted velocity readings of an appearance just  before the one where he got hurt.  I think they should have eased up on how often they used him but it's also possible this injury was inevitable.  

100%.

Look at how Elias handled DL Hall and he still got hurt.

You can't predict it.

What makes me skeptical about the accusation that relievers were over-used from warming up when they were not used is that during tv broadcasts, I'd often hear the commentators say such and such and so and so are not going to be available because they've pitched both of the last 2 days.  Not saying I know one way or the other, but I'd need evidence before making that accusation.      

19 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

What makes me skeptical about the accusation that relievers were over-used from warming up when they were not used is that during tv broadcasts, I'd often hear the commentators say such and such and so and so are not going to be available because they've pitched both of the last 2 days.  Not saying I know one way or the other, but I'd need evidence before making that accusation.      

Two different things.  Sure, they are careful not to pitch guys 3 days consecutively.  The separate question is how many times does a Tate warm up, sit down, warm up again before coming into a game or maybe not come into a game and how much risk factor is involved in that.

59 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Two different things.  Sure, they are careful not to pitch guys 3 days consecutively.  The separate question is how many times does a Tate warm up, sit down, warm up again before coming into a game or maybe not come into a game and how much risk factor is involved in that.

Sure, but evidence is needed before making any of those accusations.  

8 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Hyde has these momentary fits of wanting to win more games than his roster allows.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I think it was more questioning than actual accusations.    It's not like they keep stats of how often guys get up in the bullpen.

Somebody inside the organization probably should.   And perhaps they do.  It just isn’t publicly available.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Somebody inside the organization probably should.   And perhaps they do.  It just isn’t publicly available.  

Maybe they do.  Obviously they keep track of usage and ask the guys how they feel each night.   The thread title of this thread is pretty interesting.  What was Wells average velocity this year and were there signs that he was pitching with a fatigued, tired, or injured arm?   He may have felt find but the velocity might have been telling a different story.

16 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Maybe they do.  Obviously they keep track of usage and ask the guys how they feel each night.   The thread title of this thread is pretty interesting.  What was Wells average velocity this year and were there signs that he was pitching with a fatigued, tired, or injured arm?   He may have felt find but the velocity might have been telling a different story.

Per Fangraphs, his FB averages 95.2.   So, I’d say no red flags from the outing referenced in the OP.   I think I’ve seen him hit 98 on occasion, though.   Pretty sure the pitch he threw before the last pitch was at 96.

Edit - here’s a chart of his FB velocity by game.   https://www.fangraphs.com/players/tyler-wells/20000/graphs?pitchgraphs=true&statArr=&legend=1&split=base&time=daily&start=2021&end=2021&rtype=mult&gt1=15&dStatArray=FA&ymin=&ymax=

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Buck Showalter placed so much importance on not needlessly warming up relievers that I'd be surprised if they haven't been tracking it since at least then.

• Upvote 1