Tyler Wells 4 hardest pitches tonight.

waynebug

Pitchers break. This is one of the reasons why Wells is available. We’ve been pretty lucky with injuries this year, but when they happened in the organization look at what position they happened to,

- Means (shoulder)

- Hall (elbow)

- Baumler (elbow)

- Wells (shoulder)

- Harvey(pitching arm)

- Kjerstad(rare heart condition)

- SS Ortiz(shoulder)

The argument can be made about usage, but eventually no matter how much babying you do, pitchers just break.  They break a lot. I hope Wells is ok, but now an offseason off wondering, and listening to the O’s usual MO about pitching injuries. We won’t know until ST. 

On 9/25/2021 at 9:30 AM, Frobby said:

Oh really?   Who do you have in mind?

Dillon Tate leads Orioles relievers in IP.   He’s 41st in MLB at 63.1 IP.

Cole Sulser, at 61.2 IP, is 51st.

Tyler Wells has thrown 57.0 innings which ranks 84th.

And it’s not like our bullpen is full of reliable arms for Hyde to choose from.

I don't think that type of long-view statistic cancels the fact that it is a mistake to use any reliever four times out of five games at the end of a tanking season. Whatever advantage gained--and in Wells' case the performance was generally poor in those games--is just not worth the risk of injury to someone recently called back from the IL. Hyde has few other decent pitchers to use, but that's the reality of the roster--use what you have prudently, expecting to lose: don't burn out a young talented arm.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

4 appearances in 5 games, Froberto Clemente.  That's not good.

If we were in a playoff hunt?  I'd get it.  But not sleepwalking to the end of a 100+ loss season.  

Wells as been one of the few pleasant surprises this season, probably #4 behind Mullins, Mountcastle (I think we expected him to be good, but not 30+ homer good and not as good as he's been after his terrible start) and Mancini.  

I was surprised to see him in that situation. I get it, closers should be able to go back to back but this is a guy who had TJ and also had a DL stint this year. Hate the "closer rule". 

Good sign that it appeared in the video he wanted to stay in the game and they are calling it "discomfort." Hopefully it's not serious and he comes back next year at full strength. Definitely don't pencil him into the starting rotation though!

10 minutes ago, Pushmonkey said:

Right because numbers mater more than the naked eye. 

I'd be interested to know how much Hyde gets guys up in the pen and how it compares to say Buck, who had a reputation for not getting guys up unless they were going in.

I do think that with a 28 man roster and an active shuttle that I don't see a need for anyone to pitch four times in five games.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd be interested to know how much Hyde gets guys up in the pen and how it compares to say Buck, who had a reputation for not getting guys up unless they were going in.

I do think that with a 28 man roster and an active shuttle that I don't see a need for anyone to pitch four times in five games.

Have you seen who's been on the shuttle?   I understand the 4 times in 5 games concern and agree but I also understand wanting to use Wells in save situations or tie games if the alternative is Tate, Hanhold, Greene, and, well, just about anyone else in that bullpen not named Sulser.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Have you seen who's been on the shuttle?   I understand the 4 times in 5 games concern and agree but I also understand wanting to use Wells in save situations or tie games if the alternative is Tate, Hanhold, Greene, and, well, just about anyone else in that bullpen not named Sulser.

I don't.  Wins and losses don't really mean much at this point in this season. 

It isn't as if Wells has been a lights out closer.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't.  Wins and losses don't really mean much at this point in this season. 

It isn't as if Wells has been a lights out closer.

I think tries to win games with what he has at his disposal.  Wells has been either the Orioles best or 2nd best reliever this season and there's a pretty big dropoff after that.

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

This is my biggest gripe about Hyde.