I'm already over this offseason.

Moose Milligan

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

What GM are you referring to?  Andy?

I think you understood my jest.  My point is that you can’t just copycat another team.  You got to look at what others have done well and learn from it.  Then adapt it to your situation.  Hopefully, Elias is smart enough to look at what successful teams have done and adapt it here.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I think you understood my jest.  My point is that you can’t just copycat another team.  You got to look at what others have done well and learn from it.  Then adapt it to your situation.  Hopefully, Elias is smart enough to look at what successful teams have done and adapt it here.

Ahh, gotcha.  I thought you were trying to say that the Orioles had done just that when they hired Elias.

Yea, trying to copy what the Astros did or what the Rays do isn't going to work.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Camden_yardbird said:

The Rays are one of the least healthy organizations in MLB.  They frequently have the lowest fan turnout, they are usually rumored to be moving.  They have very low cable revenues.

Competitively they are run very well.  And the Franco extension certainly looks great now.

There's a huge difference between fan interest and a franchise being well run. Some of the Rays issues with attendance would be solved with a new ballpark. My friend has been to many ballparks and by far the Tropicana Field is the worst one he's visited. 

Tampa has never shown any signs of being a good baseball market, but that's on MLB choosing to expand there. If the Orioles want to compete they should be looking at organizations like the Rays for inspiration. 

3 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

There's a huge difference between fan interest and a franchise being well run. Some of the Rays issues with attendance would be solved with a new ballpark. My friend has been to many ballparks and by far the Tropicana Field is the worst one he's visited. 

Tampa has never shown any signs of being a good baseball market, but that's on MLB choosing to expand there. If the Orioles want to compete they should be looking at organizations like the Rays for inspiration. 

Playing half their games in Nashville?  ?

On a serious note, how did a new stadium work out for Miami?  Other than saddling taxpayers with a huge bill.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Playing half their games in Nashville?  ?

On a serious note, how did a new stadium work out for Miami?  Other than saddling taxpayers with a huge bill.

I'm not saying a new stadium fixes everything for the Rays, but they play in an absolute dump. I just don't see baseball ever being big in Florida. Even if the Orioles become consistent winners the attendance of the 90's isn't coming back with the entertainment options today. 

7 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

Have you ever written out a really long post, only to trash the whole thing because you realize you said virtually nothing that adds to the discussion? 

ps - you're welcome

I find it hard to believe that you would have written a long post that adds nothing to the discussion.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

The Rays are one of the least healthy organizations in MLB.  They frequently have the lowest fan turnout, they are usually rumored to be moving.  They have very low cable revenues.

Competitively they are run very well.  And the Franco extension certainly looks great now.

Franco's contract looks like they plan to trade him after the 2025 season.

From MLBTR:

In terms of financial breakdown, Franco will receive a $5MM bonus right off the bat. The shortstop will earn $1MM in 2022, $2MM in both 2023 and 2024, $8MM in 2025, $15MM in 2016, $22MM in 2027, and then $25MM in each of the 2028-32 seasons.

8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

From MLBTR:

In terms of financial breakdown, Franco will receive a $5MM bonus right off the bat. The shortstop will earn $1MM in 2022, $2MM in both 2023 and 2024, $8MM in 2025, $15MM in 2016, $22MM in 2027, and then $25MM in each of the 2028-32 seasons.

giphy.gif?cid=549b592d9868cqcbcta9yq8iob

9 minutes ago, wildcard said:

From MLBTR:

It’s possible they’re looking at him this way. If he’s putting up enough WAR to justify that salary, they’ll find a suitor who will take most of that on and they can re-stock their system with some good talent. 

9 minutes ago, wildcard said:

From MLBTR:

It more or less follows the same progression as if he was going year by year under the current systems.   3 pre-Arb years (he’s probably not a Super-2), 3 Arb years and 5 FA years.   Sure they could trade him at any time but I don’t see an obvious attempt to structure the contract around a planned trade.   

30 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

It’s possible they’re looking at him this way. If he’s putting up enough WAR to justify that salary, they’ll find a suitor who will take most of that on and they can re-stock their system with some good talent. 

They have the flexibility to do any number of things.  My guess is unless the team really struggles they keep him until just before he hits 10 years of service time (or whatever the new version of that is).

• Upvote 1