Baseballtradevalues.com: Rutschman worth $83 mm in trade value

Frobby

Reading about a trade involving the Pirates’ catcher, I came across this website baseballtradevalues.com.   Don’t really know their methodology, but they assign a dollar value to every player.   Here’s the top of the O’s list:

Rutschman 83.1 mm

Mullins 66.2

Rodriguez 62.9

Means 39.6

Hall 32.6

Mountcastle 32.3

Hays 22.0

Henderson 21.8

Cowser 20.6

Stowers 14.0

Westburg 14.0

Interesting to think that 7 of our 11 most valuable assets haven’t reached the majors.

https://www.baseballtradevalues.com/teams/500/

To give you some idea what the top of the scale looks like:

Acuna 321.4

Franco 301.8

Tatis 246.0

Soto 224.7

Rutschman ranks 22nd, Mullins 39th, Rodriguez 49th.   

• Upvote 1

Just now, Sports Guy said:

That seems low but he is just a catcher.

I don’t know how they come up with the dollar equivalent, but it’s an interesting scale of relative value.   I think if you have a favorable contract, that factors into the trade value.   Hence, Acuna at the top of the list.  

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

His value probably taken a hit as he's aged.

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I see what you did there.  Well played.

It’s one of those posts where you don’t even need to look to know who wrote it.  

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Am I likely wrong?

Would you rather have Adley from 23-29 or 24-30?

I don't think you can go wrong either way. Looks like the typical peak age is 29 so either way you've got their peak year in the window. https://baseballwithr.wordpress.com/2017/05/08/what-age-do-baseball-players-peak/#:~:text=The most common ages (frequencies,at young and old ages.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I don't think you can go wrong either way. Looks like the typical peak age is 29 so either way you've got their peak year in the window. https://baseballwithr.wordpress.com/2017/05/08/what-age-do-baseball-players-peak/#:~:text=The most common ages (frequencies,at young and old ages.

peakage4.png

Interesting observations from the graph:

- Biggest jumps at 25/26, and 23/24. The younger jump makes sense, breaking in. But why 25/26?
- Biggest drops at 29/30, 31/32, and 34/35. Is the 29/30 drop psychological?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

I wonder what negative trade value Chris Davis bottomed out at.

I had the same thought.   Strasburg still has $175 mm coming to him, so I guess they think he’s worth $20 mm without the contract.   I’d guess Davis was never below the full value of his contract, since he did decently in year one and wasn’t irredeemably awful in year two.  It was only in year 3 (2018, naturally) that it became apparent that he was no longer a major league quality player and by that time he had under $115 mm to go on his deal.   

54 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Nice job on the math.  ?

I am, of course, working under the assumption that the rules won't change under the new CBA.  I will say that seven years was more likely if his clock started in 2021.

It would serve the team right to lose a year of Adley because they kept him down for service time reasons.