Orioles signing Rougned Odor

Yardball85

4 hours ago, jabba72 said:

Odor is no Schoop. Yankee stadium greatly favors LH's too. Odor didnt do much there. 

Per Baseball Savant, Odor would have hit 17 homers if he’d played all his games at Yankee Stadium, and 17 if he’d played all his games at OPACY.   He’s basically gaining nothing by moving from NY to Baltimore.  Any statistical improvement is going to have to come from actual improvement, not switching stadiums.   

Interesting article. I'm warming up to the idea of Odor as the starting 3B. If he can be average-ish defensively there, I would welcome the chance for more power at the position. Can they coax something more than Franco level offensive from him? We'll see. A good test for the new hitting coaches.

31 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

About what I'd expect.  "We can fix this guy."  

Worked with Villar and Iglesias, not so much with Franco. Might as 

2 hours ago, interloper said:

Interesting article. I'm warming up to the idea of Odor as the starting 3B. If he can be average-ish defensively there, I would welcome the chance for more power at the position. Can they coax something more than Franco level offensive from him? We'll see. A good test for the new hitting coaches.

If he can play 3B he would be a good platoon partner with Gutierrez playing vs LHP and late innings.

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Worked with Villar and Iglesias, not so much with Franco. Might as 

If he can play 3B he would be a good platoon partner with Gutierrez playing vs LHP and late innings.

It did with Iglesias, although I would make the convenient "small sample size" argument in his particular case.  In regards to Villar, maybe.  Although, coming from someone who thinks the Orioles practically don't do anything right, I'd be more inclined to chalk those two cases up to dumb luck rather than thinking we had amazing coaches who did an amazing job.

Over the past 48 hours I've gone from initially pissed off to accepting that this is the type of off-season it'll be.  Scrap heap and reclamation projects.

Sure enough, they signed Jordan Lyles a day or two later.  

The cheap angle might be slightly artificial as the Rangers owe him the big bucks at the end of his extension gone wrong.   Hat tip to the young MASN podcast guys on that bit the other day.   If Odor were genuinely a FA, he might have fielded well enough with occasional pop in 2021 to pull in the Franco-Galvis-Iglesias range for 2022, but we'll never know.   I am sure his price tag was a feature for Elias.

One of the Weaver on Strategy bits that stuck with me is Earl saying he liked to start his best defensive players and pinch hit.   The game has changed of course, but by OAA the Odor Top 5/Urias Bottom 5 contrast in the rate stat of Success Rate Added was noticeable.

Urias is still one of the six Orioles I'm kind of proud to see bat to open 2022 as the roster stands now, but I didn't fully realize during the year how much he might have been giving back defensively.   I'm hopeful he'll settle in and improve some with a well-earned regular lineup spot.   Urias outhit Mancini last year, if the glove stays a big problem and he can do it again...

• Upvote 1

On 12/4/2021 at 2:54 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

Don’t forget Galvis. 

You can forget him.

Freddy Galvis has reportedly agreed to sign with NPB’s Fukuoka SoftBank Hawks. The 32-year-old Venezuelan-born infielder has played in 1,102 MLB games, 674 of them with the Philadelphia Phillies.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/sunday-notes-d-backs-prospect-buddy-kennedy-has-a-mentor-in-money/

• 3 months later...