MLB Lockout Thread

Can_of_corn

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think that some individual union members do care.

Now how much pull they have with the Union I have no idea.

Sure man, a deal is being held up because five Latin players, who probably are getting a cut out of the current corrupt system now are concerned about some 14 year old they never met. Not buying it for a second. This is the last thing the MLBPA can use to squeeze out a few more million in something else.

• Upvote 4

Just now, Tony-OH said:

Sure man, a deal is being held up because five Latin players, who probably are getting a cut out of the current corrupt system now are concerned about some 14 year old they never met. Not buying it for a second. This is the last thing the MLBPA can use to squeeze out a few more million in something else.

Sure man, the owners totally didn't try and get an International draft in previous CBA discussions and failed to do so.

To some degree someone is actually pushing back on this.  Now will they end up having one?  Yea, eventually.  Maybe this CBA.

I swear, some of you think your state and national politicians care about your thoughts and ideas too! :D 

EVERY SINGLE THING in these negotiations by both sides are used in order to make more money for themselves. 

All you have to do is follow the money. It works in everything!

20 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Seeing how close they are it now seems likely there will be April baseball at least. So im relieved at this point. Might have to tack off 8 games or so from the schedule if it continues another week, which it could. 

Don’t be so sure..if they cancel games, the next fight may be how much of a season will the players get paid for.  

That’s another huge fight.  This needs to get done today.

15 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

They don't. They are using it as a negotiating tactic. Not even sure why the MLBPA has a say since these kids are not even on the 40-man. it's all just something the players are using to get more money for their constituents, the 40-man roster guys (but mainly how to get veteran players paid more).

Yeah I get the connection between PR being included in the draft and the declining interest in baseball, but you’ll have to forgive me if I don’t think the players are altruistic with this for some reason. I think it’s more that both sides hate each other and don’t want to be seen as giving an inch. They should be more concerned about minor league conditions than an international draft. 

11 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I swear, some of you think your state and national politicians care about your thoughts and ideas too! :D 

EVERY SINGLE THING in these negotiations by both sides are used in order to make more money for themselves. 

All you have to do is follow the money. It works in everything!

So why didn't we end up with an International Draft one or two Collective Bargaining Agreements ago?

We know the owners have wanted one prior to now.  If it's just the money why didn't it happen?

Looks pretty clear to me that this is something the players have put a high price on.

46 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

?

I'm confused.

They are fighting to not have an International draft.

I reached out to David Ortiz, and in a 25-minute conversation, he outlined his issues with the international draft. He is not fundamentally opposed to the idea. What bothers him is the potential rapidity of its implementation. He believes more time is necessary for it to happen.

Ortiz: “The system in the Dominican is not ready to have a draft next year. The Dominican is not the U.S. You can’t snap a finger and everything lines up to operate the right way. We’ve got a new president who’s trying to improve things. We need to do this slowly.”

Ortiz: “Taking time — that makes more sense. OK, guys, let’s keep up this pace to do it three, four years from now. We sit down with the big-time players. We listen to what they have to say. If we’re going to do it, let’s do it right. Rushing it like this is not right.”

Ortiz: “Baseball is such a big thing in the Dominican. Baseball keeps kids off the streets. We don’t want that to walk away from us. We want it to get better. That’s my focus. Nothing else. We have the youth. People wanting to be me, Pedro, Pujols. We can’t let that go away.”

Ortiz: “At the end of the day, I don’t want those kids to be affected by it. I already played baseball. I had a career. I care about the kids being treated right. I understand MLB wants to have control over everything they do, but you’re not going to change the system overnight.”

https://twitter.com/jeffpassan/status/1501605449208115209?s=12

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But the players don't really care about the International Draft?

It seems they don’t care about baseball games. Or are more interested in their deal getting agreed to. It’s all so petty. Three options presented, but they had to have their option. 

If the establishment of the international draft will hurt baseball, what will the fans being fed up with this BS cause?

Lets see if anyone decides to act like an adult and get a deal before this spins out of control. My observation is there isn’t an adult on either side. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, waroriole said:

Yeah I get the connection between PR being included in the draft and the declining interest in baseball, but you’ll have to forgive me if I don’t think the players are altruistic with this for some reason. I think it’s more that both sides hate each other and don’t want to be seen as giving an inch. They should be more concerned about minor league conditions than an international draft. 

Agreed on that last sentence!