MLB Lockout Thread

Can_of_corn

They talked today, MLB presented a proposal.

No deal was reached.  Some good info here.

The numbers the owners are throwing out are laughably small for this stage in negotiations. 

I really liked the eventual increase of the threshold of a whole 2M and the pay increase that isn't for a lot of the pre-arbitration players.

The draft stuff is interesting, the Draft and follow could be decent if the player has the choice to refuse to participate.

2 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

Clearly terrible new.  I was somewhat hopeful that todays meetings would settle some things.  Not a full deal or anything, but bring them closer together.  Sure doesn't sound that way.

I think that it looks like they mostly agree on everything except the actual amounts of money.

That seems more surmountable than if they had more philosophical differences.

The owner's proposal is a joke.  They raised their offer for pre-arbitration players from $333k/team to $500k/team.  Something close to $50 million would at least sound serious.  I really think it ought to be extended to the top 60 players by WAR.  I would say the average team has 2 players who are at least average regulars receiving pre-arbitration pay.

I think they're going to miss a good chunk of games.

It's going to take a hell of a lot to recover from this.  There's no Cal Ripken Jr. about to break a record that people thought couldn't be broken to regain interest.  They turned the other cheek on PEDs once already, they can't do that again.  They've juiced the ball already, they can't do that again either.

They better have a hell of a marketing campaign (hahaha, they're the worst) up their sleeves for when games start up again.  There's really nothing on the horizon to help recover.  

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think they're going to miss a good chunk of games.

It's going to take a hell of a lot to recover from this.  There's no Cal Ripken Jr. about to break a record that people thought couldn't be broken to regain interest.  They turned the other cheek on PEDs once already, they can't do that again.  They've juiced the ball already, they can't do that again either.

They better have a hell of a marketing campaign (hahaha, they're the worst) up their sleeves for when games start up again.  There's really nothing on the horizon to help recover.  

I agree.  I've been watching more baseball the past few years than I have since I was a kid, as I've been watching less of some other sports.  With MLB.TV I've caught tons of games and loved it.  But if spring comes and I find myself with no baseball and I get caught up with other activities, I don't know how quick I'd be to get back to it once a different routine is established.  Shame on both sides if they make the fans miss a single game of the regular season while they try to figure out how best to screw the other side.  

4 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

I agree.  I've been watching more baseball the past few years than I have since I was a kid, as I've been watching less of some other sports.  With MLB.TV I've caught tons of games and loved it.  But if spring comes and I find myself with no baseball and I get caught up with other activities, I don't know how quick I'd be to get back to it once a different routine is established.  Shame on both sides if they make the fans miss a single game of the regular season while they try to figure out how best to screw the other side.  

Yep, I agree.  Depends on how much time is missed.  I said it before, there are other things in life.

The one thing that makes me think I'd jump right back is that I watch this team out of habit and I don't know how hard it is to break that habit.  The other thing, it's finally time for Rutschman and others to come up and I don't want to miss that.

I don't have the numbers to back it up, but I believe less and less people are watching baseball than ever in the last 50 years. It does not feel like America's pastime. It feels like grandpa's pastime. Go out on the street and ask the average person to name 5 current MLB players. It would be surprising if 50% could. At least in the steroid era and the last strike, there was Cal, McGwire, Sosa, Griffey, Bonds, Clemens, etc...