Cutting the cable and watching MASN

wildcard

27 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

With VPN's you have to watch on like a browser right? Like how would I watch on my TV with a VPN?

You would be watching it on MLB.TV.   So you just need a device that can use that app (video game console, Fire stick, Roku, smart TV, etc) and there are a plethora of those that can easily plug into a TV.

47 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

This is what I figured. So there is no way to do it otherwise I guess?

If you have a laptop with an hdmi output, that would do it. Unfortunately I haven't figured out how to finagle all this with the MLB app available on smart TVs and game consoles. Don't think it's possible.

4 hours ago, crowmst3k! said:

Couldn't someone just feed the VPN info into their router and connect to MLB.TV on any device they want?

Yes, but it is an uneven experience. Here in CT the only games I can't watch on MLBTV are against the Yankees and Red Sox. Unfortunately that is a high percentage of games. I've tried multiple VPN services, changing router settings and using different apps on a Roku and firestick. It seems to me as if MLB has figured out to counter these, as I was unable last season to watch any of those games. 

6 hours ago, Orioles0615 said:

This is what I figured. So there is no way to do it otherwise I guess?

If you have a MacBook and Apple TV, you can stream right to your TV with no additional setup. Or with your iPhone or iPad and Apple TV. 

MacBook is pretty handy if you find a stream on your computer and want to watch it on a TV. 

I have had MLB-TV on a month by month basis off and on since dumping DirecTV about four years ago (and thus losing MASN). I've mainly had it in Spring and can't bear to watch past May. Someone here recommended PIA VPN. It's been pretty reliable when I have streamed it on my Mac. I have the situation where everything we watch or stream is on my HDTV screen which is connected with a HDMI cable to my Mac Mini. Occasionally I have to refresh my Safari or Chrome browser to clear the cache and set the VPN site to The Bahamas, the West Coast or England so that I'm not in the O's viewing area. Durham NC where I live is in the O's viewing area, so we have always had the blackout. 

You CAN get this VPN on your iPhone or iPad, but it's not as reliable as on a Mac. I imagine they have a PC version, too. 

• Upvote 1