How does Elias build a playoff quality pitching staff?

wildcard

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Very true although I think you are a bit optimistic on Mullins’ defense.  I also don’t think Adley defense helps all that much.  

I feel the OF defense overall should be fine…it’s just a matter of the IF defense.

His pitch framing will be worth four wins a season.

6 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Btw, I think the single most overlooked thing on this site, in terms of building the team, is the bullpen.  

This organization has got to figure out how to build a real bullpen again.  They did it before but it’s been largely few and far between for 25 years.  

I find this quote pretty odd tbh.

The Orioles run from 2012-16 was largely fueled by a historically great bullpen.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Pickles said:

We had many "smart" posters claiming things like that just a few years ago.

sTaTiStIcS

I love stats.  I was early on the board with the pitch framing data.  But I think that the other folks that got involved with tracking it grossly exaggerated the impact. 

You can't accurately measure the impact pitch framing has, at least not with any of the data I've seen.  Maybe some team has cracked the code.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I love stats.  I was early on the board with the pitch framing data.  But I think that the other folks that got involved with tracking it grossly exaggerated the impact. 

You can't accurately measure the impact pitch framing has, at least not with any of the data I've seen.  Maybe some team has cracked the code.

It was grossly exaggerated; there were no efforts to "vet" such information and challenge the presumptions; and anyone who questioned the veracity of said numbers was treated like an unwashed barbarian.

The more things change.

Well we’re going to throw a lot of internal options against the wall this year. Hopefully, some stick. I don’t think too many people thought that Cole Sulser and Tyler Wells would be our two best relievers. Heck, 1/3 of the way through the season it was Valdez and Fry. Guys like Bautista and Peralta could be big time pen arms best year. The other hope is that one of the SPs other than Means develops at least into being a #4/#5 type. 

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Well we’re going to throw a lot of internal options against the wall this year. Hopefully, some stick. I don’t think too many people thought that Cole Sulser and Tyler Wells would be our two best relievers. Heck, 1/3 of the way through the season it was Valdez and Fry. Guys like Bautista and Peralta could be big time pen arms best year. The other hope is that one of the SPs other than Means develops at least into being a #4/#5 type. 

How many folks thought our two best relievers would be that mediocre?

No offense to either of them but they were fine, nothing more. 

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Guess you don’t care about winning then.  Having a top flight BP is vital to the success of teams, especially in today’s game.

It's still less important than the everyday players and starting pitchers.

Everything is important.

But the BP is literally the least important part of a team.

11 minutes ago, Pickles said:

It's still less important than the everyday players and starting pitchers.

Everything is important.

But the BP is literally the least important part of a team.

It’s not less important than most of your regular starters.  Definitely more important than your back end of the rotation guys that provide little value…like Jordan Lyles.

Your last statement is so bad.