Long piece on Peter Angelos’ history

Frobby

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I'd consider that the ultimate insult.  We're going to steal your team and move it 1000 miles away and call it something else, but you can still watch their prospects play for three months for the BaySox on their way to Nashville.  I'd give PG County Stadium the finger every time I drove by.

What would be interesting is if the Atlantic League somehow negotiated a lease and put a team in OPACY.  I'd go watch them.  I supposed they'd have to drop the OP part.

Again, not expecting any of this to happen.

For all the faults of the Angelos family's stewardship of the Orioles, I don't see any scenario where they move the team or sell the team to a buyer that would relocate the franchise. 

Also if the Rays and Athletics weren't able to move by now, then it's not happening with the Orioles who play at a top five ballpark in all of MLB. MLB hasn't shown any appetite for franchise relocation like we've seen with the NFL.

33 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If the choice is the Angelos family keeps the team and moves to Nashville, keeps the team and stays in Baltimore or move the team to Nashville and Baltimore gets a new franchise within 2-3 years, I would take option C in a heartbeat.

How did that 2-3 year plan workout when the Orioles, Colts and Bullets left town?

On 12/22/2021 at 4:26 PM, Tony-OH said:

No, I was not, but that was a long time ago. The city has changed. I once loved Baltimore. My Grandfather lived in Little Italy and it was basically my second home growing up. 

Now, I only go into that violent, drug invested, dangerous, corrupt city when I absolutely have to. I once would defend Baltimore, but it has come to the point where it can no longer be defended any longer. 

Ever driven through the city lately?  In the last two months I've had to take my father to a downtown hospital and then pick him back up after his surgery (I was not allowed in because only one person could be with him), drove my wife into the city to get some Italian food from a great Italian market and took my oldest son to see WWE at the Royal Farms Arena. Travelling through the city, there were homeless people and squeegee people at almost every intersection. Homeless men were everywhere and you had to walk through groups of young men who were blocking sidewalks or trying to hawk you something. At one point there was a screaming match near the entrance of my parking garage and what sounded like some kind of fight but I was able to get into my vehicle and get out of there before anything we down. It's just not a comfortable experience.

The Roads? Apparently the city forgot that roads should be paved, even, and without pits everywhere. The traffic lights? Can't go a block without hitting one even if there are no cars going the other way because they haven't spent any money trying to synchronize them or put in technology that allows for the lights to know the traffic. 

Now Camden Yards is just off the highway so it's not too bad if you can park in one of the lots on site, but the only game I've gone to in the last two years I ubered up and back because it was just safer and easier. I did go over the Pickles/Sliders after the game but almost no one was there.

When I was younger, I probably would not have cared as much, but at 51 years old, I can't protect myself and my family physically like I used to and Baltimore has made sure to keep good guys from having guns to protect themselves. Even if I did CC, I would not trust that I would get a fair trial if God forbid something happens and I needed to use it to protect myself and or my family. Also, since the former corrupt mayor (no not the previous corrupt mayor, the corrupt mayor before her) once allowed mobs to attack people and destroy property, it doesn't feel like it's a place where you can safely enjoy time with your family.

So If the Orioles move, I would continue to be an Orioles organization fan for sure. My love for Baltimore has long passed and while I will probably always be a fan of Baltimore teams, if for some reason the Orioles did leave, it would not be the end of my fandom for the franchise. 

I've been an Orioles fan all my life so I can't see anything stopping me from continuing to be so.

And I hate to say it, but I've been to Nashville and it's a pretty nice city where I felt safe walking the streets.

What was the name of the Italian market you went to?

On 12/22/2021 at 3:26 PM, Tony-OH said:

No, I was not, but that was a long time ago. The city has changed. I once loved Baltimore. My Grandfather lived in Little Italy and it was basically my second home growing up. 

Now, I only go into that violent, drug invested, dangerous, corrupt city when I absolutely have to. I once would defend Baltimore, but it has come to the point where it can no longer be defended any longer. 

Ever driven through the city lately?  In the last two months I've had to take my father to a downtown hospital and then pick him back up after his surgery (I was not allowed in because only one person could be with him), drove my wife into the city to get some Italian food from a great Italian market and took my oldest son to see WWE at the Royal Farms Arena. Travelling through the city, there were homeless people and squeegee people at almost every intersection. Homeless men were everywhere and you had to walk through groups of young men who were blocking sidewalks or trying to hawk you something. At one point there was a screaming match near the entrance of my parking garage and what sounded like some kind of fight but I was able to get into my vehicle and get out of there before anything we down. It's just not a comfortable experience.

The Roads? Apparently the city forgot that roads should be paved, even, and without pits everywhere. The traffic lights? Can't go a block without hitting one even if there are no cars going the other way because they haven't spent any money trying to synchronize them or put in technology that allows for the lights to know the traffic. 

Now Camden Yards is just off the highway so it's not too bad if you can park in one of the lots on site, but the only game I've gone to in the last two years I ubered up and back because it was just safer and easier. I did go over the Pickles/Sliders after the game but almost no one was there.

When I was younger, I probably would not have cared as much, but at 51 years old, I can't protect myself and my family physically like I used to and Baltimore has made sure to keep good guys from having guns to protect themselves. Even if I did CC, I would not trust that I would get a fair trial if God forbid something happens and I needed to use it to protect myself and or my family. Also, since the former corrupt mayor (no not the previous corrupt mayor, the corrupt mayor before her) once allowed mobs to attack people and destroy property, it doesn't feel like it's a place where you can safely enjoy time with your family.

So If the Orioles move, I would continue to be an Orioles organization fan for sure. My love for Baltimore has long passed and while I will probably always be a fan of Baltimore teams, if for some reason the Orioles did leave, it would not be the end of my fandom for the franchise. 

I've been an Orioles fan all my life so I can't see anything stopping me from continuing to be so.

And I hate to say it, but I've been to Nashville and it's a pretty nice city where I felt safe walking the streets.

Yes, obviously MORE people carrying guns is the answer.

I think I'd still probably root for them if they went to Nashville, no matter if they backfilled Baltimore with a new franchise or not.

It's the franchise and it's an ongoing soap opera for sports fans.  I'm more interested in how Ryan Mountcastle's career progresses rather than what home stadium he's doing it in.  I'm more interested to see how Cedric Mullins' career progresses.  

For all the handwringing over the years about Rutschman, G-Rod, and whoever else we've got in the minors that looks like a good prospect, it doesn't matter to me if they're playing in Nashville or Baltimore.  I haven't spent hundreds of thousands of hours on this site and watching games to give that up at the drop of a hat.  If Camden Yards was inhabited 3 or 4 years later by a group of random players, I probably wouldn't care.  I might go to a game because Camden Yards is a nice place to watch a game, but I don't think I could force myself to care about the franchise.  I mean, I never gave up on this sorry ass franchise even though the Nats moved in.  I never really cared about the Nats, either.  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Who is us in this instance?

You'd need a new owner already in place to have any chance of that timeline working.

Do you trust MLB?

I don’t trust MLB.   But the Expos were moved to DC without an owner lined up, so that’s not necessarily an obstacle.   

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I don’t trust MLB.   But the Expos were moved to DC without an owner lined up, so that’s not necessarily an obstacle.   

If an owner isn't in place and MLB reneges on their promise what recourse is there?  Who would even lead litigation?

You have a new owner who has paid for a franchise...you are going to see a franchise.

13 hours ago, timsulin said:

What was the name of the Italian market you went to?

Trinacria on North Paca streets. Their Lasagna is really outstanding and this is coming from someone very picky about his Italian food after growing up with authentic Italian food.