Naysayers????

Belkast

But the whole point of "packaging" him with Teixeira would be to get a better deal then they would otherwise. Why wouldn't they use our (or another team's) desire for Teixeira to get that kind of concession?

What concession are you suggesting? That we give him the starting job for the next few years?

Would this be some sort of contract language?

It's not going to happen. If the guy plays here we will probably pay him more than he is worth and he'll ride the pine with the occasional Sunday start once Matt gets here.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe, but they may love Tex a whole lot and they do need a face of their franchise. The closest thing they have to a face is Ryan Zimmerman.

I have a funny Zimmerman story. My cousin is a Secret Service Swat member at the White House. He trains their dogs. One day most of the Nationals came by and Zimmerman wanted to put the suit on and let a dog attack him. He got a pretty good gash in him arm when the dog bit him, but he was so pumped to have done it. You gotta love guys like that.

The Nationals do not need Mark Teixeria, they NEED to restock their minor league affiliates that have absolutely nothing coming out of them. They could have done that by trading Soriano they didn't. They could've gotten a lot for Dimitri Young when he was having his stellar year, they EXTENDED HIM and he promptly ballooned up to a metric ton and was terrible.

For Tex to go to DC it would be about money and money alone because if there is a place he has a lesser chance of winning than Baltimore it is DC.

What kind of price tag can you put on the intangibles gained from Tek mentoring Wieters?

How much is it worth to have Matt be able to call games as good as Tek does?

I don't have any answers here, just asking the question "Does Varitek have value beyond his stats in the form of mentoring Matt Wieters for a year or two?"

And if so, how much value?

What say you?

What concession are you suggesting? That we give him the starting job for the next few years?

Would this be some sort of contract language?

It's not going to happen. If the guy plays here we will probably pay him more than he is worth and he'll ride the pine with the occasional Sunday start once Matt gets here.

Obviously it's not going to be written into the contract, but you don't think there could be some implied suggestions about him starting? Starting with, you know, getting a starter's contract (and with this team's record of playing veterans over rookie, there wouldn't be a chance THAT would give him more starting time than his performance deserves)?

Obviously it's not going to be written into the contract, but you don't think there could be some implied suggestions about him starting? Starting with, you know, getting a starter's contract (and with this team's record of playing veterans over rookie, there wouldn't be a chance THAT would give him more starting time than his performance deserves)?

Oh I think it will probably more than implied that he will start, it's just going to be short lived. I'd give him half of a season.

I actually like the idea of signing Tek, especially if it nets us Tex.

This team has been in a downward spiral for 11 years now. It is a team and an organization that knows only losing.

Tek, while he may not be the player he was a couple of years ago, is a gamer and has known nothing but winning with the Sox -- and has been instrumental in creating that winning atmosphere.

Think of how many times you have heard Sox players call Varitek the heart of that team. Think Millar but with more talent and fewer shenanigans.

He also forms an excellent bridge to Weiters, who should not be rushed. I know we all want to see Matt behind the plate ASAP, but longterm the O's need to make sure that he is 100 percent ready, even if that means another three quarters of a year in the minors.

And when you think about it, keeping him in the minors is good for the organization as a whole. Let him form that rapport with Matsuz, Arrietta, Tillman, et al now when the games don't matter.

The O's are not going to make any noise this year, but 2010/2011 is the goal. Let these kids grow up a little and let them do it together.

Tek for two years lets that happen.

Also even Joe Mauer had three years in the minors calling his own games before reaching the majors.

Wieters would probably be the first catcher since Piazza to come up to the majors a year after making his professional debut.

Mauer also was drafted out of high school. So, his bat was not as ready as Wieters.

Also even Joe Mauer had three years in the minors calling his own games before reaching the majors.

Wieters would probably be the first catcher since Piazza to come up to the majors a year after making his professional debut.

Did Mauer attend college? I realize you don't call your own game in college, but he still was behind the plate those three seasons. The lifespan (durability) for 6'5" catchers isn't that long and the clock is ticking.

Archived