New O's radio agreement plus O's content on WBAL - TV

wildcard

• wildcard changed the title to New O's radio agreement plus O's content on WBAL - TV

From the article:  "The Mid-Atlantic Sports Network will continue to serve as the club’s exclusive home to all television game broadcasts."

Just to reassure people that all none of the "Orioles content" that WBALTV airs will include actual games.  MASN monopoly.......still intact, sigh.

24 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Would this necessarily lead to any changes in the broadcast booth or are the announcers under contract to the Orioles and they would likely continue on, just on a different radio station?

They’ve changed multiple times before without it impacting who is in the booth. I find it interesting that their flagship station has changed every few years.  

• Upvote 1

What’s interesting is the last time the Orioles moved from 1090 to 105.7 is around the time the Ravens moved from 105.7 to 1090. I wonder if 105.7 is going to attempt to purchase the rights to call the Ravens games. 

105.7 is an all sports radio station that currently doesn’t have the rights to either pro team in the Baltimore market. And their talk show hosts (in my opinion) are mediocre at best. 

35 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

What’s interesting is the last time the Orioles moved from 1090 to 105.7 is around the time the Ravens moved from 105.7 to 1090. I wonder if 105.7 is going to attempt to purchase the rights to call the Ravens games. 

105.7 is an all sports radio station that currently doesn’t have the rights to either pro team in the Baltimore market. And their talk show hosts (in my opinion) are mediocre at best. 

This is a huge blow to 105.7 in my opinion. How can you be the only all sports radio show in Baltimore and not have the Orioles or Ravens games? 

I'm not a fan of the 98 Rock coverage for the Ravens although the announcers are fine from the limited time I spend listening to the games on radio. WBAL always did a good job with their coverage and you can pick up 1090 a long ways away which was something you could not with 105.7.

31 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I hear people complain about 105.7 a lot.  I also hear people put them on a pedestal and act like they are experts.  

i don’t listen at all.  Over the years, I have found local talk radio to normally be terrible and non informative.  I don’t think many of them have ever been that knowledgeable and what knowledge they do have, it’s pretty vanilla stuff.  

Most of them can’t interview worth a damn either.  

44 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

WBAL always did a good job with their coverage and you can pick up 1090 a long ways away which was something you could not with 105.7.

That was my first reaction, that I can tune in a lot sooner on the drive down.

As for listening from up here in Harrisburg, not sure yet how it will impact my ability to find 1090 on iHeartradio or TuneIn, where 1057 could be found very easily. I mean, I've always found workarounds, but we'll see if actual game broadcasts can be found easily. ?

2 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Its already 105.7 the Raven so they may as well its all they ever talk about. The O's could have just won the World Series and the next mornin they would field calls and talk about is if J̶o̶e̶ ̶F̶l̶a̶c̶o̶ Lamar Jackson is elite 

21 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

Its already 105.7 the Raven so they may as well its all they ever talk about. The O's could have just won the World Series and the next mornin they would field calls and talk about is if J̶o̶e̶ ̶F̶l̶a̶c̶o̶ Lamar Jackson is elite 

I listen to 105.7 because I'm both an Orioles and Ravens fan and agree that they have always paid more attention to the Ravens than the Orioles, even when they are/were the Orioles flagship station.  Having said that, 1090 AM is a news station and 97.9 FM is a music station.  Neither of them gives much attention to sports outside of their gameday coverage.  At the very least, I would hope 1090 provides increased pre and post game coverage for the O's.

8 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I hear people complain about 105.7 a lot.  I also hear people put them on a pedestal and act like they are experts.  

i don’t listen at all.  Over the years, I have found local talk radio to normally be terrible and non informative.  I don’t think many of them have ever been that knowledgeable and what knowledge they do have, it’s pretty vanilla stuff.  

Most of them can’t interview worth a damn either.  

I haven’t listened to 105.7 regularly in the last two years besides Oriole games. You’re right the quality of the hosts and callers is low.

I remember their were callers who would call into each show daily to speak their ill informed takes. There were some good callers, but they mostly got drowned out by the low IQ crowd. 

105.7 can spend more time talking Ravens now if they want, but their summertime programming is going to struggle without Orioles broadcast rights. 

9 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

This is a huge blow to 105.7 in my opinion. How can you be the only all sports radio show in Baltimore and not have the Orioles or Ravens games? 

I'm not a fan of the 98 Rock coverage for the Ravens although the announcers are fine from the limited time I spend listening to the games on radio. WBAL always did a good job with their coverage and you can pick up 1090 a long ways away which was something you could not with 105.7.

If 105.7 doesn’t get the Ravens broadcast rights the next time the contract is up, I don’t think the station lasts much longer under the current format.

They might stay sports talk, but shed much of the local talent for nationally syndicated talk shows like Rich Eisen, etc. 

The Ravens just extended their contract with WBAL through 2026. https://www.wbaltv.com/article/baltimore-ravens-extend-broadcast-partnership-wbal-tv-radio/38515488#

That said I don't think it means doom to 105.7.  They are still the only station with local sports talk.  I have no interest in National Sports talk shows.  The last thing I want to here is 24/7 about the Yankees and Red Sox.  Yes I agree the fan spends more time talking about the Ravens but that is what pays the bills.  The Ravens have been competitive for the most part year after year where as we all know the Orioles have not.  I prefer baseball but the NFL is the most popular sport by far.  People will listen to the games on WBAL and switch back to listen to the talk shows talk about the Orioles.  I am sure this is a business decision that WBAL offered to pay more than 105.7.  Because the Orioles are on WBAL mostly in the evenings it isn't going to cause those people to turn on WBAL daytime political talk shows.  Sports fans will still listen to 105.7 during the day if that is what they have been doing.  As far as signals you can listen to any station anywhere on your smartphone.  

On 1/5/2022 at 9:07 AM, Aglets said:

From the article:  "The Mid-Atlantic Sports Network will continue to serve as the club’s exclusive home to all television game broadcasts."

Just to reassure people that all none of the "Orioles content" that WBALTV airs will include actual games.  MASN monopoly.......still intact, sigh.

It wasn't too many years ago that the Orioles would air 1 game per week on local OTA TV.  

I wish they would go back to this.  I'd love to be able to watch a handful of games per year.