Correa (Update, signs with Twins)

Yardball85

Greinke is coming off a pretty mediocre year.  ErA wasn’t great, his K rate was way down and homers were way up.  He did have an excellent BB rate but his FIP was 4.71.

And that’s with his BABiP being 30 points lower than his career.

His swingstr% was the worst in a decade.

He isn’t trending in the right direction and would be coming to a harder division and worse defense.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Lol.  Nah, I understand it perfectly.  You just aren’t getting what I’m saying.

well 1 WAR players aren't easy to come by and aren't cheap so..... by definition they're a decent major league player. You're not going to get them all from your farm system. And by definition a 1-2 win player on a 10-15m contract would be market value 

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Not sure I agree with that in our park and division.  

Doesn’t matter, he ain’t coming here.  If he leaves Houston, it’s to go to another contender.

They all have to pitch in the same park and division.  Grienke pitched more innings by a lot than any on our staff last year.  And had a much better ERA/ERA+ than anyone besides Means.

Now I'm not advocating signing him.  And ultimately, I think you're right.  He's not coming here.

But I think it's pretty clear why "anyone would want to sign Grienke."

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Greinke is coming off a pretty mediocre year.  ErA wasn’t great, his K rate was way down and homers were way up.  He did have an excellent BB rate but his FIP was 4.71.

And that’s with his BABiP being 30 points lower than his career.

His swingstr% was the worst in a decade.

He isn’t trending in the right direction and would be coming to a harder division and worse defense.

And Greinke's 38 years old now too. Maybe he will be alright this year, but there's the very real possibility he's a repeat of the Kevin Millwood season with the Orioles in 2010.

11 minutes ago, seak05 said:

well 1 WAR players aren't easy to come by and aren't cheap so..... by definition they're a decent major league player. You're not going to get them all from your farm system. And by definition a 1-2 win player on a 10-15m contract would be market value 

Yes I’m aware but anyone actually paying that for a 1 war player is making a monster mistake.

Almost 400 players were worth 1 WAR or more last year and I’m sure there were a slew of relievers who didn’t make that bench mark and those players aren’t always calculated well in the WAR formula.  So no, I don’t think it’s overly hard to find it.

Paying  that kind of money for 1 WAR is just bad.  2 WAR starts to be a little more justifiable but it depends on a lot of factors.

12 minutes ago, Pickles said:

They all have to pitch in the same park and division.  Grienke pitched more innings by a lot than any on our staff last year.  And had a much better ERA/ERA+ than anyone besides Means.

Now I'm not advocating signing him.  And ultimately, I think you're right.  He's not coming here.

But I think it's pretty clear why "anyone would want to sign Grienke."

People get excited about a big name, especially a future HOFer.

But yea, coming off the year he did and with his stuff getting worse, I don’t understand why anyone would want to sign him.

Greinke 2021 stats:

11-6,  4.16 ERA,   29 starts, 171 IP  164 H  1.170 WHIP. 

He does not have a blazing fastball.  He is a finesse pitcher.   So his strikeouts are low at 120.   Pitchers out pitch their FIP all the time.

He is well worth a 1/15m contract with an 15m club option.

You do you have that is better  and available that the O's could sign?

1 hour ago, jrobb21613 said:

Do you guys think that a Correa signing would be enough to attract solid Veteran pitching a guy like Grienke who before might not want to come here to help leap lead a young pitching staff? 

I think if Correa signed we might trade Coby Mayo for Frankie Montas tomorrow.

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Greinke 2021 stats:

11-6,  4.16 ERA,   29 starts, 171 IP  164 H  1.170 WHIP. 

He does not have a blazing fastball.  He is a finesse pitcher.   So his strikeouts are low at 120.   Pitchers out pitch their FIP all the time.

He is well worth a 1/15m contract with an 15m club option.

You do you have that is better  and available that the O's could sign?

There is so much info you are leaving out in this post.  

1 minute ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

That sounds very specific, got some info or did I miss a news story?

No.   

Just speculating on puzzle pieces, and the KIND of move that might be there if Elias wanted to try for 6th in the AL with Mullins, Correa, Adley and Grayson in 2022, as opposed to giving Orioles Correa the Padres Machado 70-92 Year 1 type experience.

Sign Collin McHugh and Trevor Rosenthal after that too.