Orioles close to signing Chirinos (Update: Signed for 900k)

Moose Milligan

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Anyone know how mentory  he is?  Has he got good mentor skills?  Has he mentored anyone good?

Hate to think Elias signed a sub par mentor for a guy that doesn't need a mentor in the first place.

I'm going to hate myself in the morning for taking the bait on this one, but....

there are enough major leaguers who talk about the importance of a mentor in their career that there must be something to it.  You may not be able to quantify it, but it exists.

From Cal talking about Eddie's influence to Darling discussing it on last nights MLBN Baseball tonight, I'll have to take the players word for it.......unless you had a different experience when you were in a MLB dugout?

3 hours ago, MGH5208 said:

I'm going to hate myself in the morning for taking the bait on this one, but....

there are enough major leaguers who talk about the importance of a mentor in their career that there must be something to it.  You may not be able to quantify it, but it exists.

From Cal talking about Eddie's influence to Darling discussing it on last nights MLBN Baseball tonight, I'll have to take the players word for it.......unless you had a different experience when you were in a MLB dugout?

And this guy might be crap at all of that.  Just because he's old by baseball standards doesn't mean he'd be a positive influence.

Additionally Adley has a coach for a father and a legendary coach for a grandfather.  He's been lauded for his leadership.  We have no reason to think he's in need of mentoring.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

And this guy might be crap at all of that.  Just because he's old by baseball standards doesn't mean he'd be a positive influence.

Additionally Adley has a coach for a father and a legendary coach for a grandfather.  He's been lauded for his leadership.  We have no reason to think he's in need of mentoring.

Tell me how much time Adley’s father and grandfather spent in a major league dugout.    

I definitely believe there is something to mentoring from veteran players.   Does that mean Chirinos is a better option than Nottingham or Bemboom?   Not necessarily.   It’s one of many factors to be considered.    And is Chirinos the mentoring type?   That’s for Elias and his staff to know.   

• Upvote 1

I do not know how much of a mentor Chirinos is. Maybe he and Adley can develop that kind of relationship, though their time together may or may not last through the year. Chirinos has been around for 10 years in MLB and can certainly teach Adley many of the little things about hitters, handling pitchers, analytical things, etc… He also hablas, which comes in handy sometimes. He is a durable league-average back-up catcher, and the offensive profile is not what is used to be. He is an upgrade to Wynns, Sisco or Severino for the role he is likely to have. His deal is not an expensive one, so it should be a worthwhile deal for both sides.

I am curious about Jacob Nottingham though. My hope is that Adley and Chirinos start 2022 in Baltimore, and that Nottingham prospers in Norfolk. Bemboom seems like insurance beyond them in AAA.

Maverick Handley has to show he can hit and be more productive this year, and I assume he will be in AA Bowie for the year. Brett Cumberland, Cody Roberts and Ramon Rodriguez round out the depth. Ramon got some props in the AFL, but not much there but journeyman status. 

I know we have Creed Willems and Samuel Basallo, for now, as young catchers in rookie FCL this year, and Connor Pavolony in low A Delmarva, but catching depth in the system needs a boost. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Tell me how much time Adley’s father and grandfather spent in a major league dugout.    

I definitely believe there is something to mentoring from veteran players.   Does that mean Chirinos is a better option than Nottingham or Bemboom?   Not necessarily.   It’s one of many factors to be considered.    And is Chirinos the mentoring type?   That’s for Elias and his staff to know.   

And one would assume that with their shared Houston experience, Elias and staff have a pretty good book on what Chirinos is like in the dugout/clubhouse/etc.

5 minutes ago, Pickles said:

And one would assume that with their shared Houston experience, Elias and staff have a pretty good book on what Chirinos is like in the dugout/clubhouse/etc.

From what I read, Chirinos was only in Houston in 2019, after Elias came to Baltimore. But between Hyde, Cossins, Elias and the people they all know, I am sure they have a good feel for what they are getting.

2 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

From what I read, Chirinos was only in Houston in 2019, after Elias came to Baltimore. But between Hyde, Cossins, Elias and the people they all know, I am sure they have a good feel for what they are getting.

Agreed.  

I'll say also as someone who regurlarly watches the Texas Rangers, I always liked Chirinos.

I haven't seen him consistently in a few years, and he's getting up there, but I believe he'll be a pretty clear upgrade over Severino.

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

Agreed.  

I'll say also as someone who regurlarly watches the Texas Rangers, I always liked Chirinos.

I haven't seen him consistently in a few years, and he's getting up there, but I believe he'll be a pretty clear upgrade over Severino.

Chirinos is strictly a back-up for me at this point. He had some solid production for Texas and Houston in 2018-2019. Severino, for me, was about unfulfilled potential, which he never came close to realizing in Baltimore. He would have been a terrible back-up for Adley, imho. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jammer7 said:

Chirinos is strictly a back-up for me at this point. He had some solid production for Texas and Houston in 2018-2019. Severino, for me, was about unfulfilled potential, which he never came close to realizing in Baltimore. He would have been a terrible back-up for Adley, imho. 

Oh, yeah, Chirinos is definitely a back up.  But, imo, that's all Severino ever was; he was just on a 50 win team devoid of talent.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Pedro might have been very helpful in showing Adley which pitches to try to grab and which ones to let go the backstop. And which popups to avoid because they're going to be real tricky. 

Can also show him how to eliminate the stress of catching a perfect game.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Anyone know how mentory  he is?  Has he got good mentor skills?  Has he mentored anyone good?

Hate to think Elias signed a sub par mentor for a guy that doesn't need a mentor in the first place.

Mentory?   Well, he was on the Astros when they lost to the Nats in '19.  Mentory?