Jordan Lyles 2022

Il BuonO

That A's lineup tonight was a joke. They've just been obscenely lucky with RISP so far. Lots of crappy minor leaguers up and down their lineup. 

Still, glad to see what hopefully is an organizational shift in results due to analytics, philosophy, and development. One can hope. Perhaps the analytics department saw something in Lyles and he and the coaching staff have been able to capitalize.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

If it's not bull**** that they saw something in his analytics that they thought they could work with and make him into a good pitcher after 12 years in the majors, I will be impressed.

Until then, I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.

One thing for certain is the offense has to get better because winning 1-0 games is not sustainable. I'm expecting things to balance out between the offense and pitching. I mean they can't hit this poorly for an entire season, right?

• Upvote 1

My issue is more about why we went after Lyles rather than that we went after Lyles. 

Sometimes you have to make aggressive moves to make sure to accomplish a priority.  Elias must have prioritized getting a healthy arm that could eat innings and went aggressively after his guy.  What @Moose Milligansaid is the rest of the story...  I don't fault Elias for going after his guy. 

Elias bought time in the rebuild chapter of Oriole history since he bought stability and "something" plus that he saw in Lyles.  

19 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

If it's not bull**** that they saw something in his analytics that they thought they could work with and make him into a good pitcher after 12 years in the majors, I will be impressed.

Until then, I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.

It's happened before. Jason Hammel was nothing special before he arrived in Baltimore. I guess they told him to lean heavily into his sinker. 

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

6 IP, 7 H, 1 ER, 3 BB, 6 K’s for Lyles today.  He didn’t dominate at all but navigated his way through 6 innings nicely.   So far I feel like we are getting exactly what we hoped for from Lyles — maybe a couple fewer innings from him than expected, but considering the shorter spring training, a decent number of innings.   No complaints on my end. 

• Upvote 2