Jordan Lyles 2022

Il BuonO

2 hours ago, eddie83 said:

This is a good point. At the time I thought it was some long shot but if he keeps this up it’s not crazy. Still ton of season left but I like what I see so far. 

I never thought that picking up the option on Lyles might be a good idea.  If he pitches 180 innings w/ a mid 4 ERA, picking up the option probably makes sense.  With a WHIP of 1.5, I think his ERA is likely to end up over 5.  Might actually get something nice for Lyles at the deadline, if the O's decide to trade him.  I never saw that either.

4 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I never thought that picking up the option on Lyles might be a good idea.  If he pitches 180 innings w/ a mid 4 ERA, picking up the option probably makes sense.  With a WHIP of 1.5, I think his ERA is likely to end up over 5.  Might actually get something nice for Lyles at the deadline, if the O's decide to trade him.  I never saw that either.

Shockingly, his FIP (3.87), xFIP (3.81), and SIERA (3.91) are all lower than his ERA (4.11)

2 hours ago, forphase1 said:

I thought this was a poor sign when it was announced.  And it could still turn out that way.  But so far, SSS aside, he's done much better than I was expecting.  

Yeah, I wasn't too happy with the signing either. 

What we’ve gotten from Lyles so far is pretty much exactly what we would have hoped for in a best case scenario for him.  Last night shows exactly why we signed him.  After the bullpen was asked to get 33 outs on Sunday, we desperately needed our starter to make it through 6+ innings, and that’s exactly what Lyles did.   It’s tough to face the Yankees four times in 6-7 weeks, but he did it.   Hopefully he just keeps doing what he’s been doing. 

• Upvote 3

43 minutes ago, Frobby said:

What we’ve gotten from Lyles so far is pretty much exactly what we would have hoped for in a best case scenario for him.  Last night shows exactly why we signed him.  After the bullpen was asked to get 33 outs on Sunday, we desperately needed our starter to make it through 6+ innings, and that’s exactly what Lyles did.   It’s tough to face the Yankees four times in 6-7 weeks, but he did it.   Hopefully he just keeps doing what he’s been doing. 

Definitely best case scenario from Lyles so far. SSS, but if he just doubles this SSS, then he will bring back much better than we expected at the trade deadline. Also, I think longterm it will make FA SP consider signing with us with the park being different. 

Listen to Lyles minute-long answer at the 2:00 mark in this video.    He answered a softball question with such candor that as I saw it live I wasn't sure if MASN would post, but they did.    He is who he is as a big-leaguer, and I'm more of a fan of him today than I was yesterday.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2