Jordan Lyles 2022

Il BuonO

14 hours ago, Frobby said:

Hopefully, often.   This may not be the best Red Sox team.  Of course, I also said that when we swept them in the opening series last year.

You were right then, and you are still right.    They got a nice dead cat bounce in 2021, but with my orangest glasses I've preferred our 2020's to theirs since the moment of the great Mookie insult to baseball, and believe in five months Xander if he wants another ring will obviously prefer BAL to BOS.

Mookie and all the greats on that championship team deserved the repeat shot, but hey at least they have Alex Verdugo.   I am not worried about being able to outplay Alex Verdugo's teams.

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

the O's do have an option on Lyles next year.  Mediocrity in starting pitching has a high price.

This is a good point. At the time I thought it was some long shot but if he keeps this up it’s not crazy. Still ton of season left but I like what I see so far. 

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

Rough first inning for Lyles tonight, made worse by Bemboom’s error, but otherwise Lyles was pretty spectacular.   He’s outperforming my expectations.  

Same here.

6 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

the O's do have an option on Lyles next year.  Mediocrity in starting pitching has a high price.

It also makes him more valuable in a trade.  Hat tip to Elias on Lyles (so far).  His aggressiveness pursuing Lyles makes him Elias’ guy.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

This is a good point. At the time I thought it was some long shot but if he keeps this up it’s not crazy. Still ton of season left but I like what I see so far. 

This is my thinking as well. $7M seemed like a moderate overpay so $11M seemed like a "when hell freezes over" proposition. Now $11M seems quite reasonable. Even if you don't want to pay it you could exercise the option and then trade him.

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You don’t pay Lyles 11M next year.  If he is pitching reasonably well And teams are interested in him, he will get dealt in July, as he should.

Agree with trading him. I do think Elias may want him to eat innings through the end of this year. There is some risk he implodes and you miss his peak trade value but he's probably not bringing back much anyway.

17 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You don’t pay Lyles 11M next year.  If he is pitching reasonably well And teams are interested in him, he will get dealt in July, as he should.

I doubt he gets traded. We've had to many guys hurt (Means), cant stay healthy/innings limit (Kremer/Wells), or are having trouble in AAA (Not named GROD) that were penciled in the rotation. I'd leave Akin in the BP all year with his success. There's not many left...

12 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Agree with trading him. I do think Elias may want him to eat innings through the end of this year. There is some risk he implodes and you miss his peak trade value but he's probably not bringing back much anyway.

I’d say if he has a good first half his trade value will be approximately the same as Cashner’s was when we traded him.   

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’d say if he has a good first half his trade value will be approximately the same as Cashner’s was when we traded him.   

Probably accurate.  Could see it being a little higher with the extra playoff spot there and more teams in it but overall, that’s probably close.

13 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

I doubt he gets traded. We've had to many guys hurt (Means), cant stay healthy/innings limit (Kremer/Wells), or are having trouble in AAA (Not named GROD) that were penciled in the rotation. I'd leave Akin in the BP all year with his success. There's not many left...

Possible but there are enough arms to fill 2 months worth of innings on a team that isn’t prioritizing winning games.

Boss has scraped the Top 5 in league-wide IP.    He is 8/32nds towards holding up his end of the bargain, or maybe 8/18ths of the way to exceeding it.    At Yankees at Red Sox next two turns will be tough assignments to keep the innings flowing.

tched
1. Gausman  TOR 50.0
2. Montas  OAK 49.0
3. Ray  SEA 48.2
4. McClanahan  TBR 46.1
5. Lyles  BAL 46.0