The Voices of Summer

wildcard

Growing up outside the influence of Baltimore baseball broadcasts, it was Harry Caray and Steve Stone calling Cubs games on WGN and Skip Caray and Ernie Johnson calling braves games on TBS.  On Saturday's, it was Mel Allen doing his "This Week in Baseball" spot.

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Joe Angel is my favorite.  I know most prefer Miller to him but I didn’t.  

Outside of those 2, I haven’t really been enamored with any of the PBP guys.  Felt Thorne was really overrated by fans.

Palmer and Big Ben are great.

Big Ben started out great, but he seemed to have caught Mike Bordick disease last year using a lot of the same cliches and looking at everything with orange colored glasses. I hope he refinds his first few season style because he was really good.

I'm in the minority of having liked Jim Hunter.  I thought he was great on the radio, but I wasn't a fan of him on MASN.  

Fred Manfra just got worse as he got older, but he was decent enough.  

Joe Angel and Jon Miller were absolute treasures.  

Currently: I really like Brett Hollander. 

45 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

Growing up outside the influence of Baltimore baseball broadcasts, it was Harry Caray and Steve Stone calling Cubs games on WGN and Skip Caray and Ernie Johnson calling braves games on TBS.  On Saturday's, it was Mel Allen doing his "This Week in Baseball" spot.

Last Orioles Cy Young Winner Steve Stone. 

Long ago, Chuck Thompson did both Orioles and Colts. Always will be my favorite. Still cherish the CD of his "Voice of The Orioles".  Really like Jon Miller and Palmer is my favorite "color" person.  In my opinion, after Miller, there was a drop off just as with the Orioles.

6 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Miller and Angel.

I really liked the old HTS days when it was Proctor and Lowenstein.  Those two were great together.  

Also Thorne, Palmer, McDonald.  

Miller and Angel. Can't imagine we will ever have a better pair of broadcasters on TV or radio

• Upvote 1

Grew up with Chuck Thompson and Bill O'Donnell, and loved Thompson.   Was not as crazy about O'Donnell, I found his voice to be a little bit too monotone.   When I was a kid staying up after my bedtime with a radio pressed against my ear with the volume real low under the covers, Bill would tend to put me to sleep, while I could stay awake with CHuck.

I loved Miller and Angel in their prime, and Angel for his entire Oriole career

Believe it or not, I actually liked Tom Marr in his years as a play by play guy.  He was not exactly competent, he would get a lot of things wrong.  But I liked the enthusiasm he brought.