Kyle Bradish 2022

Tony-OH

4 minutes ago, vab said:

Bradish doesn't have that kind of stuff but he has good stuff and he is struggling so it's an OK comp. Just let the kid pitch, it's not like we have five guys in triple A who deserve a shot. 

No, and he almost certainly will never hit Arrieta's peaks, but the fastballs are similar; the effectiveness of the breakballs is similar; and the lack of command is similar.

Keep running him out there and hope he finds something.

45 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

The other guy last night was pretty good, 17-3, 5.7 WAR in 1+ season

A 2019 first round pick

Frustrating how Toronto hits a homerun with the #11 pick, and we can't hit a home run with 4 top five picks

How many home runs by your definition have their been in the last 4 years? 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Ehhh, I’m not sure I agree that he has starter stuff but maybe it’s just semantics.

I don’t see anything remotely resembling a consistent third pitch or consistent fastball command.

I agree the possibility exists that those things can occur but it’s not close right now.

He's got 4 pitches and all have their moments.  Consistency is what separates all players but the talent is there.  

On 5/22/2022 at 2:09 AM, Ridgway22 said:

Yeah, Tony, gonna have to call you out on this post that is full of fluff, has no specifics, no actionable intel, provides no insight into the players actual performance, potential, or future role, and completely avoids the important question of his position on the social issues of the day. Seriously, why is this the first site i visit almost every day, and spend more time here than quality time with my wife?

...and just for those that might not get this type of humor, this post it the exact opposite of the implied, mKay?

Haha, thanks. 

I gotta admit at first I was like, "What the..!"

Let me add a little bit to that post. I'm starting to have concerns with his fastball.
Against 401 fastballs, batters have done this:

BA       XBA    SLG     XSLG   wOBA  xWOBA  WHIFF
2022     .368    .341    .621    .637       .455     .439       16.9%
RHB      .500     .423    .935    .869    .616       .548       12.5 %
LHB      .220     .250    .268     .376    .265      .311        22.5%    

Those fastball numbers against righthanders are scary bad. 

So I looked at his fastball a little closer and the numbers surprised me. For a guy with a very overhand delivery, he doesn't get great spin rate and his vertical movement (13.9 inch) is actually below average for a 94.9 MPH fastball. That means his vertical movement does not make up for the fact that his fastball is almost dead straight (1 inch of horizonal movement) which comes out to -7.2 inches less than an average MLB fastball at that velocity making it -116% break from average.

Let me summarize that for some that don't really get all of that. His fastball is very straight and doesn't have enough velocity or lack of drop to overcome the straightness. Basically his fastball needs to be located very well for success and explains why they are hitting it so hard in the zone.

This does not bode well for his long-term success at the major league level an ANY role without an adjustment to his fastball or a sudden ability to locate really well.

• Thanks 3

28 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Haha, thanks. 

I gotta admit at first I was like, "What the..!"

Let me add a little bit to that post. I'm starting to have concerns with his fastball.
Against 401 fastballs, batters have done this:

BA       XBA    SLG     XSLG   wOBA  xWOBA  WHIFF
2022     .368    .341    .621    .637       .455     .439       16.9%
RHB      .500     .423    .935    .869    .616       .548       12.5 %
LHB      .220     .250    .268     .376    .265      .311        22.5%    

Those fastball numbers against righthanders are scary bad. 

So I looked at his fastball a little closer and the numbers surprised me. For a guy with a very overhand delivery, he doesn't get great spin rate and his vertical movement (13.9 inch) is actually below average for a 94.9 MPH fastball. That means his vertical movement does not make up for the fact that his fastball is almost dead straight (1 inch of horizonal movement) which comes out to -7.2 inches less than an average MLB fastball at that velocity making it -116% break from average.

Let me summarize that for some that don't really get all of that. His fastball is very straight and doesn't have enough velocity or lack of drop to overcome the straightness. Basically his fastball needs to be located very well for success and explains why they are hitting it so hard in the zone.

This does not bode well for his long-term success at the major league level an ANY role without an adjustment to his fastball or a sudden ability to locate really well.

Righties hitting .500 off his 95mph avg fastball? No bueno. I'm assuming he's throwing a 4-seamer.... Might be a candidate to try becoming a sinkerball guy. I share your concern, the MLB junkyard is filled with guys with exciting velocity who end up selling life insurance. Velocity, Movement, Command, you've got to have 2 of the 3. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, interloper said:

Bradish is back and starting tonight. Good to see - I hope he's healthy and effective this time. 

I'm certainly rooting for him. If he could figure some things out it would go a long ways to helping next season...and this season too.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

I'm certainly rooting for him. If he could figure some things out it would go a long ways to helping next season...and this season too.

I feel like earlier this season we were all ready to consider him a big part of the future. It’s funny how a few bad starts can bring expectations down to earth. 

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Glad to see it is Bradish and not Matt Harvey.   It would be a real shot in the arm for the team and the organizaion if Bradish can hold down a rotation spot the rest of the year.

Hopefully Bradish has turned a corner and is now healthy. Bradish deserves another chance at the MLB level this year as he clearly has the best MILB credentials this year. Better than Hall and Harvey. Bradish has earned this.