Tyler Wells 2022

Il BuonO

It was new to me recently he squished 8 of the 12 walks he yielded all year into April/May.

April/May - walked 8 in 91 PA

After - walked 4 in 143 PA

If I cherry-pick his K-BB% standing in the June-September improvement range (Minimum 30 IP), he was about the same as Emmanuel Clase, with the super-low walk rate driving a K/BB outcome around 9.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=rel&lg=all&qual=30&type=1&season=2021&month=1000&season1=2021&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=2021-06-01&enddate=2021-10-31&sort=9,d

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

Roch says today: "He (TWells) doesn’t look like the closer anymore".

Though he might begin the season in the rotation he may be on a innings limit for the year.  That could put him back in the pen at some point.

That’s a good point. He’s not gonna be a workhorse SP, probably limited to 4-5 IP per game. He could be in that hybrid role that TB is so good with. 

I’m really surprised by this.  They definitely seem to be trying to stretch him out. 

I don’t get how they didn’t do it at all during the season and in fact, went the opposite way and reduced his workload.  

I think it’s the right move to try him out as a starter but I didn’t see it coming.  Kudos to wildcard and some others who thought they would do it.  I don’t know if he will be able to handle the role but nothing wrong with trying.

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

He is probably the biggest bright spot this spring and probably the biggest coup Elias has made in terms of free sources of talent (Urias may be a close second and Baker and Perez are both interesting). 

Mateo, as well.

9 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

He is probably the biggest bright spot this spring and probably the biggest coup Elias has made in terms of free sources of talent (Urias may be a close second and Baker and Perez are both interesting). 

If you consider the Rule 5 draft a "free source of talent" (I know there is a small cost associated with it), Tyler Wells has to be on teh list too.