Tyler Wells 2022

Il BuonO

I'm not a big fan of babying the inning limits of pitchers, it just depends on the pitcher, their circumstance, and how they are doing.  The last few starts Wells has clearly shown that he is ready to be shut down for the season.  Remember, pitch command and sharpness of off-speed pitches often goes before fastball velocity.

36 minutes ago, yark14 said:

I'm not a big fan of babying the inning limits of pitchers, it just depends on the pitcher, their circumstance, and how they are doing.  The last few starts Wells has clearly shown that he is ready to be shut down for the season.  Remember, pitch command and sharpness of off-speed pitches often goes before fastball velocity.

He's injured now so babying is not an issue. He's gonna be out for a while. 

On 7/26/2022 at 4:02 PM, Griffey said:

And right on cue, Gore goes on the IL.

It's truly amazing how predictive that "increased usage" chart is for at-risk pitchers.  But I guess that's the consequences of grooming them as throwers instead of pitchers.   

If this is it for Wells, then it was certainly a successful season. Fingers crossed that he is only out for a few weeks and is able to come back for the playoff run (hah!) in September.

If not, hopefully he can hit the ground running going into Spring Training next year and is ready to make 33 starts.

• Upvote 1